CHAMBER (working title)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • heres some positive feedback: THAT SAWBLADE IS WICKED!!

• >

> > i found a way to break the ledgegrab to where it stops working. keep holding shift after landing completely (you'll bunny hop) -- after doing this, you'll never be able to handplant again unless you exit and restart the .exe. pressing R wouldn't fix it (are you restarting the layout or just respawning/relocating player?).

> >

> I am restarting the layout when you press R.

>

> I cannot reproduce the bug... maybe the easy solution is to disable bunny hop for the character. I will do this for the next build and see if the problem goes away for you.

>

> ~Sol

>

well see my edit. keep holding shift, from the jump until the handplant animation is done and it should break it. are you using global values? perhaps a global value is carrying over even when you restart the layout.

Yeah I am using some values for different animation states. Perhaps I need to create more "resets" for the base values. I can't seem to repoduce the bug you are talking about, but I have disabled bunny hop and overall it's a better feel anyway. I meant to take that off before but I forgot lol. I'm gonna crash out for now though, it's after 3am... will check tomorrow when I'm more awake and sober. Cheers again for testing this out. I want the movement eingine to be solid before I start making levels and stuff.

~Sol

• oh yeah something else thats a bit important, while running toward an edge if I hold shift at the right time she will do the handplant and come back up. its kinda funny

so instead of jumping, she'll handplant on the ledge she was already on? i haven't been able to reproduce this yet.

• heres some positive feedback: THAT SAWBLADE IS WICKED!!

SICK! I'm gonna make it better though... with some fancy...er... fancyness. You'll see

~Sol

*EDIT*

I really appreciate the testing guys

All this bug feedback will help me get this thing to the state of unbreakable, which is what I want. I just dread the nightmare of fixing simple problems... sometimes the easiest thing can be the most massive problem!

Anyway, goodnight guys! Happy testing. I will be back up in about 5-6 hours so I will continue to tweak this mess until it's "fully sick".

• > oh yeah something else thats a bit important, while running toward an edge if I hold shift at the right time she will do the handplant and come back up. its kinda funny

>

so instead of jumping, she'll handplant on the ledge she was already on? i haven't been able to reproduce this yet.

Yeah just jump onto the wall section on the right between the pit and the lava and then run to the left and hold shift when you reach the edge. it only seems to do that when you restart the layout with 'R' tho.

• Yeah I am using some values for different animation states. Perhaps I need to create more "resets" for the base values. I can't seem to repoduce the bug you are talking about, but I have disabled bunny hop and overall it's a better feel anyway. I meant to take that off before but I forgot lol. I'm gonna crash out for now though, it's after 3am... will check tomorrow when I'm more awake and sober. Cheers again for testing this out. I want the movement eingine to be solid before I start making levels and stuff.

~Sol

you could also use private values instead. i use private values for gameplay stuff regarding the player character (jumps and special moves or whatever).

• One technique for animations if you use photoshop is to create an image, say 128x128, and draw each frame as a separate layer...or use folders if you require more than 1 layer....then you can flick them on and off and photoshop has some neat features, like the ability to export each layer as separate files, or export as an animaton, etc. Thats how the graphics were done for braid.

http://www.davidhellman.net/braid/anima ... s-main.zip

Then you can just use the import dialog in the animation bar to bring them in.

• >

>

> Yeah I am using some values for different animation states. Perhaps I need to create more "resets" for the base values. I can't seem to repoduce the bug you are talking about, but I have disabled bunny hop and overall it's a better feel anyway. I meant to take that off before but I forgot lol. I'm gonna crash out for now though, it's after 3am... will check tomorrow when I'm more awake and sober. Cheers again for testing this out. I want the movement eingine to be solid before I start making levels and stuff.

>

> ~Sol

>

you could also use private values instead. i use private values for gameplay stuff regarding the player character (jumps and special moves or whatever).

That's what I am using. I think I need to make a "reset event" then call that event after certain actions are performed.

~Sol

• >

> >

> >

> > Yeah I am using some values for different animation states. Perhaps I need to create more "resets" for the base values. I can't seem to repoduce the bug you are talking about, but I have disabled bunny hop and overall it's a better feel anyway. I meant to take that off before but I forgot lol. I'm gonna crash out for now though, it's after 3am... will check tomorrow when I'm more awake and sober. Cheers again for testing this out. I want the movement eingine to be solid before I start making levels and stuff.

> >

> > ~Sol

> >

> you could also use private values instead. i use private values for gameplay stuff regarding the player character (jumps and special moves or whatever).

>

That's what I am using. I think I need to make a "reset event" then call that event after certain actions are performed.

~Sol

weird... because i created a test app that tests whether or not private values are reset when layout is restarted (change layout to itself). global values aren't reset but private values are reset.

• One technique for animations if you use photoshop is to create an image, say 128x128, and draw each frame as a separate layer...or use folders if you require more than 1 layer....then you can flick them on and off and photoshop has some neat features, like the ability to export each layer as separate files, or export as an animaton, etc. Thats how the graphics were done for braid.

http://www.davidhellman.net/braid/anima ... s-main.zip

Then you can just use the import dialog in the animation bar to bring them in.

Those guys are freaking geniuses (David and Jonathan).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > I see, even if you work all of them in one canvas, you still have to cut them and save them individually.

> That was what I wasn't getting.

>

> Thanks!

>

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the butt... though not as much as drawing all those frames one by one!

GraphicsGale is the program I use for all my animating. You can create animation frames directly in the program, see your animation working as you work on it, view them overlapped with each other via onion skinning, and then, to top it all off, you can then export each frame as individual image files with just a couple of clicks. Hands down the best program for pixel art/animation I've ever used, and you can buy it online for just about 20 bucks.

• GraphicsGale is the program I use for all my animating. You can create animation frames directly in the program, see your animation working as you work on it, view them overlapped with each other via onion skinning, and then, to top it all off, you can then export each frame as individual image files with just a couple of clicks. Hands down the best program for pixel art/animation I've ever used, and you can buy it online for just about 20 bucks.

Cheers for the tip. I have Adobe Image Ready which does pretty much the same thing... but I still do things the "old fashioned" way, even if I'm not touching up/editing an existing sheet. I might check it out anyway... it could come in handy.

~Sol

• OK next build is here:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/21/ ... -v0.85.exe

Fixed:

-Animation transitions for all animations

-Bug where player could not grab ledge after bunny hopping

-Jumping animation sequence adjusted to look more natural

-Crouch now works

Added:

-Skid animation

-Sawblade glare effect

Next Up:

-Finish animation frames for hand plant

-add wall jump ability

-add wall slide ability

-Special effects for "dust" under shoes when skidding or landing from a jump

Let me know if you guys find any more bugs... so far I have found one where you stick to the wall near the top of the ledge... I think it could be a simple object alignment issue but I haven't bothered to try and fix it yet. That other weird bug where you can handplant when you try to jump off the ledge is still there too... can't figure that one out either just now. Apart from that I haven't found anything else.

~Sol

• Just about adding sprites to games via a sprite sheet, i dunno if many people are aware but you can use the import screen in construct to break up a sprite sheet into separate sprites, depending on your ordering the whole process is pretty much done in one hit.

That's what I sometimes do when i couldn't be stuffed making my own character for a quick test of something, i just use some of the sprite sheets from that RPG maker engine thingy, construct makes it really easy to import them

• It's looking pretty good!

Great animations so far!

I totally enjoy a game where I have to avoid traps and stuff.

My only suggestion is that maybe you should make the window 800x600, A LOT of people use their desktop resolution at 1024x768, so that would make the game more accessible in that sense.

Unless you're going for fullscreen only.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)