Abstract

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vector illustration of 5 spiral characters with transparency in 3 different colors.
  • http://www.indiedb.com/engines/construc ... t-the-demo

This is my first "official" game with the Construct Engine (I've made the top-down shooter demo, and I've experimented with a few more advanced ideas that taught me a great deal about what the Engine is capable of, and what I can do as a one-man development team).

But as you can probably tell, while I manage to continue popping out new things in the vein of the art style, I lack good animation skills (presently, I've been putting functionality over making things 'shiney'). Music is also very low on the importance list.

I have yet to decide how the final game will be released, but I intend none the less to make sure this project is completed -- one way or another.

• You should fix the link, it doesn't work. Here it is, in the meantime

http://www.indiedb.com/games/abstract

I haven't tried it. I'm on mobile internet and don't wanna download files, it's slow and expansive, will try it later.

• The reason the link is broken now is because the game page went up, so I moved the download to where it was supposed to be. Sorry about that, everybody.

• indiedb.com/engines/construc ... t-the-demo

What's up with hosting old versions of Construct on your website? That's usually considered bad form, plus I wouldn't trust downloading an .exe from an unofficial page.

• > indiedb.com/engines/construc ... t-the-demo

>

What's up with hosting old versions of Construct on your website? That's usually considered bad form, plus I wouldn't trust downloading an .exe from an unofficial page.

...okay, clearly you just jumped in with no understanding of IndieDB.

First: IndieDB is an officially owned website, founded from the founder of ModDB. I don't run the website. The construct engine's downloads are from people posting it that time ago. People are allowed to add their engines/games, so it isn't out of the norm for someone to have forgotten. The engine auto updates. I do not own IndieDB. I just posted my game there.

Secondly: The site specifically checks every download before authorizing it for download. This isn't like how on Filefront where they just seem to review the content -- it took about a day before my download went live.

Thirdly: Have you ever heard of anti-malware? Security? Software that can scan files? If I hadn't downloaded that .exe from a website known and trusted for trying to keep viruses out, I would have probably scanned it more than twice (which was how many times I scanned Construct).

• There's really no need for the sarcasm. It's a valid concern.

• construct engine's downloads are from people posting it that time ago.

oops..then sorry....it sure appeared to be from your page. Since the link you posted was just an error and when I clicked on downloads (off of your page) it brought me to the old versions of Construct.

Have you ever heard of anti-malware? Security? Software that can scan files?

Yes, which is exactly why I don't trust .exe's from non-official sites. A well crafted virus/malware will almost always be undetectable to most security software.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • A whole bunch of comments but not a word about the game.

I tried it, but gave up quickly since it used arrows and mouse, and since I'm on a laptop it's kinda hard. However, i'm pretty sure the graphics, even if they are interesting, will be very frustrating after a while since you can't distinguish enemies, bullets, etc. from the background. A good rule of thumb for game design is that every time the player dies, he should think that it was his own fault. In this case, the player will blame the game and give up after a few tries.

• A whole bunch of comments but not a word about the game.

I tried it, but gave up quickly since it used arrows and mouse, and since I'm on a laptop it's kinda hard. However, i'm pretty sure the graphics, even if they are interesting, will be very frustrating after a while since you can't distinguish enemies, bullets, etc. from the background. A good rule of thumb for game design is that every time the player dies, he should think that it was his own fault. In this case, the player will blame the game and give up after a few tries.

The background is pale gray and white. The characters are all stark black characters with white on the inside. I'm afraid I cannot seem to see the lack of differentiation. Also, a tutorial level will be made to make sure the player actually knows how to tell apart enemies, bullets, the mouse aimer, and the Abstract. This is an early build, so it presently lacks it.

But thank you for being the first person to actually say something about the game on this thread.

• Even though you can separate them, you don't see them well in your peripheral view, so you won't be able to reach the awareness and skill people strive for in action games. Apart from that, your character movement has way to slow reactions, something that will also make the players blame the game, as well as slow moving bullets.

I'm not trying to bash your games, you're just falling for some common traps. I'm just saying; fix these things, or people will find it annoying.

• Agree with Attan, it's hard to see what's going on. Player's bullets and enemie's bullets are same, when I shoot in the same direction as they shoot at me, I can't see anything. I flew through a level without shooting, collision with enemies could inflict more damage to disable this shortcut. Those big ships could be destroyable, or their cannons.

• Alright, I appreciate the feedback but I state this now: This is early in development. This is not the finished project. This is primarily promotional and testing.

The combat is presently in a major overhaul as I'm considering new ideas I recently had. The turrets on the big ships will be destroyable in the future also.

However -- if I change the background much further, then it defeats the whole purpose of it being set in the world of Abstract -- it would become nothing more than a bunch of weird squiggly characters shooting each other in an empty void for no reason at all. Considering generally people either do not mind the background, or claim it is annoying, I frankly am left with a divided audience. Perhaps in the future I'll add a feature to disable the background -- but that is the best I'm willing to offer, and in the future you'll realize why it is important.

Damage ratios are also being reconsidered, but understand the player already is 1/3 weaker in the demo (if my memory serves me right) than they original were. If I take it down much more, a beginner would get slaughtered.

As to the upset over the speed of movement...

Abstract presently moves at its intended speed in the game design. Faster speeds produce sporadic movement and break the flow, and the original Abstract moved a great deal slower during initial design. If Abstract moves faster than its enemies, then the running through the level issue becomes even worse than before. Also, it makes colliding happen more often, and later there will be a negative to score when doing such a thing. What this would mean would be to change the present speed would make it more playable to you, and more hectic for all other players. I'm afraid unless it becomes a more valid concern, I won't be changing Abstract's movement speed.

• I don't mean to repost, but I wish for this to be separate from my previous post.

I appreciate criticism where it is due. I don't want to be a mini-Square Enix or Lucas Arts here. All I ask is that... also try to actually say what you -do- like about the game. Because criticism without any positive... just says you're not liking it at all.

Especially when you reiterating issues I've responded to and am going to be working on over the summer.

• Hey, I played your game a while back, it is good for a game that early in development. I enjoy the background but there is ONE problem with it. All the circles in the bacground have that problem when you feel them in and a few pixels are the orginal color of background. I don't know why some people are having trouble making out what-is-what. I can see it fine. My other grips are that you move FASTER then the bullets. Thats kinda...blah. Overall, it's a cool little game.

• Hey, I played your game a while back, it is good for a game that early in development. I enjoy the background but there is ONE problem with it. All the circles in the bacground have that problem when you feel them in and a few pixels are the orginal color of background. I don't know why some people are having trouble making out what-is-what. I can see it fine. My other grips are that you move FASTER then the bullets. Thats kinda...blah. Overall, it's a cool little game.

Ty.

As to the bullets moving slower...

Yes, that's being taken into account.

Balancing, after having all levels completed, will be made thorough.

Also, the combat system will have a serious redesign (serious enough that I'll have likely over 80 new events to include).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)