using the current FPS in an equation.

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • like you said, "when used to move stuff it works just as well as using the FPS average"

well... I'm not using it to move stuff. GASP

So anyway blah blah blah, lack of forethought, pain in the ass, workaround still not too useful, etc.

and i'm only trying to mess around here. I'm not even making some big project out of this but it still gives me a hard time.

• Perhaps if you clarified what do you need the FPS for, we could have helped more. I just assumed that you wanted FPS to display or whatever. FPS is Frames Per Second, which is an average. However, if you use fixed numbers like that for your equations, you might notice disrespectancies when your FPS drops or rises.

Timedelta expression is ideal, because it scales with current FPS. When your game gets slowed down due to all those projectiles on the screen, timedelta rises, keeping the game flow uniform. Stuff that uses timedelta runs equally fast on 30 FPS, 60 FPS and 500 FPS.

So, the question is - what do you need the FPS for? What is that you are trying to do?

• Wait is the profiler object usable for this?

• Profiler? As far as I know, it only has two actions and two expressions... Start, end, get seconds, get ticks.

I suppose you could use the profiler to start and end as soon as it hits one second, then get ticks it ran - that'd be the ammount of frames, I'm guessing. However, that is not exactly one click.

• I'm impressed by the forum regulars, you guys are extremely friendly and helpful even when replying to less respectable members.

• the helpful part is debatable. helpful implies they did one of two things

1. left it at "no, there's no 'get FPS'. construct is retarded"

2. Told me how exactly getting fps from time delta is supposed to work.

I'm currently on a wild goose chase.

• I'm afraid you won't be getting better answers with an attitude like that. You didn't explain WHAT DO YOU NEED THE FPS FOR, either.

A little more explaining, less passive aggression would have helped.

• hey a$$hole

if you need to show FPS

click "Show FPS in caption" or get FRAPS

if you need it for something other than showing FPS

then you probably don't really need it

and you're just too stupid to figure out how to use timedelta for your purposes

if you need help, stop being so disagreeable, explain yourself more clearly

so someone smarter than you can think for you

• Why are you such an angry person? You have a perfectly acceptable solution and you still feel the need to be uncivil.

• hey a$$hole

if you need to show FPS

click "Show FPS in caption" or get FRAPS

if you need it for something other than showing FPS

then you probably don't really need it

and you're just too stupid to figure out how to use timedelta for your purposes

if you need help, stop being so disagreeable, explain yourself more clearly

so someone smarter than you can think for you

at least i'm not a bitch like you.

• Bitch or not, lucid at least does his stuff, like developing plugins to provide features not covered by Construct.

You, on the other hand, seem to prefer being spoonfed. Well, here is news: you have got to put in some effort yourself, too. Again I ask: what do you need the FPS expression for?

• > hey a$$hole

> if you need to show FPS

> click "Show FPS in caption" or get FRAPS

>

> if you need it for something other than showing FPS

> then you probably don't really need it

> and you're just too stupid to figure out how to use timedelta for your purposes

>

> if you need help, stop being so disagreeable, explain yourself more clearly

> so someone smarter than you can think for you

>

at least i'm not a bitch like you.

You really are appearing as one. Take a timeout and post only if you're prepared to interact properly.

lucid: try not to be provoked by rude and uncivil people, moderators and admins can deal with them better.

• Hey guys, Cheez just wants to have an expression for the current FPS! Just because every respectable gamedev tool must have one! Otherwise it is, as Cheez has said, retarded! This is reason enough, stop asking what he needs it for! Cheez is an expert in this question, don't you dare doubt him! Rich, you'd better get working on the issue right away! Or else Cheez will demand a refund!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The technical response to this thread:

The best way to measure the framerate is Mipey's method, and it is also already described on the wiki because it's very common. There is no system expression to retrieve it, but it is trivial to set up the events.

The correct way to get the instantaneous framerate - which is how many ticks would run in a second if every tick ran as fast as the last single tick did - is 1 / TimeDelta. However, this does vary a lot. The timer is almost perfectly accurate - it is correctly measuring fairly large variations in TimeDelta, which happens for various reasons (eg. the combination of Window's process scheduling and Vsyncing meaning occasionally a Vsync is missed and TimeDelta being around double the normal value). This does tend to make the displayed value unreadable though, because it varies so much. This is why I would prefer the previous method.

Cheez, you are on your way to a temp ban with your attitude, and you've been like this before. I feel your original "Don't tell me they forgot to add that in" and "should have existed from the very start" is belittling as if we are too stupid to think of putting that in, especially since you could have simply phrased it as "how about adding it if it isn't already there?" like most other forum members do. The rest of your posts have a generally bad and unhelpful attitude. Some people have responded badly but I think you are responsible for winding up, so please chill out and don't make me need to log in to the admin control panel in future.

I am satisfied my response completely answers the original question so to cool things off I'm closing the thread.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)