Any tutorials on Arrays?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • I have no idea on how Arrays work. I tell construct to save the layout(?) and when I press a button, load the array it saved, to test level design. To my dismay, this does nothing. How exactly does this work?

Also, I'm stuck between making two different games: 'Crosshair'; The game about avoiding getting shot by a sniper while avoiding many deathtraps and physics traps.

[This has a Thread]

OR

'The Nether'; A game about a man being sent to hell, and having him fight his way out.

• We need to see a CAP file before we can really help you with your problem. It's hard to see what's wrong without seeing it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • We need to see a CAP file before we can really help you with your problem. It's hard to see what's wrong without seeing it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWF40XBI

I added some little things in-game to tell you how to move and walljump.

Logic: Array saves on the start of layout. Press R to Load the array.

• I have no idea on how Arrays work. I tell construct to save the layout(?) and when I press a button, load the array it saved, to test level design. To my dismay, this does nothing. How exactly does this work?

Well, Quicksave doesn't magically use an array just because you want it to.

You can use Quickload to load the state you saved or use "Save/load to disk" action of the system object in order to use permanent savegames.

However the buildin save/load features may cause problems. So it might be better to use your own method.

Think of an array as a table that holds values in each cell. Now it's up to you to do whatever you like with it. In case you didn't check it out yet: Array Object on the wiki.

While I'm not aware of a tutorial specifically targeted at arrays, I do believe the puzzle example I made gives a good practical insight in how to use arrays. Maybe have a look at this cap: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2306601/puzzexam1_array.cap

On a sidenote I advice against using the Advanced Camera plugin, since it's outdated. Linkman himself provided the superior MagiCam plugin. You should get that one instead!

• > I have no idea on how Arrays work. I tell construct to save the layout(?) and when I press a button, load the array it saved, to test level design. To my dismay, this does nothing. How exactly does this work?

>

Well, Quicksave doesn't magically use an array just because you want it to.

You can use Quickload to load the state you saved or use "Save/load to disk" action of the system object in order to use permanent savegames.

However the buildin save/load features may cause problems. So it might be better to use your own method.

Think of an array as a table that holds values in each cell. Now it's up to you to do whatever you like with it. In case you didn't check it out yet: Array Object on the wiki.

While I'm not aware of a tutorial specifically targeted at arrays, I do believe the puzzle example I made gives a good practical insight in how to use arrays. Maybe have a look at this cap: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2306601/puzzexam1_array.cap

On a sidenote I advice against using the Advanced Camera plugin, since it's outdated. Linkman himself provided the superior MagiCam plugin. You should get that one instead!

I used Quicksave and Quickload before. It just didn't work with the Advanced Camera thing. I forgot to delete the Quicksave action before I uploaded the cap. XP

Thank you though! I shall read the Wiki and view the cap file of awesome. Thanks for the help!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)