Sound & text with Timeline Object?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hi all,

Is it possible to control sound & text at the same time with Timeline Object?

If, yes. How is the best way to do it?

Best regards,

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It certainly is, but you'll need to be a lot more specific for anyone to be able to help you.

• Well yeah. that was a short description sorry.

Well, ive made some text dialogue with the help of the timeline object.

And i want to add my own speech to it.

I just want to find the simpliest way to do this, i know i can make a "if period "name" has started. Or "during" but isnt there an easier way?

I was thinking .ini or something?

or am i way off?

best,

Mike

• An ini would probably be the easiest, since you can just call a line at each time segment. It would also be easiest to edit and change if you desired to do so.

Sounds like you may be doing something like a lyrics/karaoke system?

You could probably do this in a number of ways, but if it was me I'd probably be experimenting with an ini for sure.

~Sol

• Ok so what I think you're trying to do is add speech samples to supplement the text.

So:

(I'm using example paths and so on, but just substitute for your data structure).

On start of period "blah1"

Xaudio2 autoplay file "Audio\Speech\NPC\bob_blah1.wav"

Play the sound file.

Set Variable_Holder_SpriteObject.value('Last_Speech") to xaudio.lastplayed

This saves the number of the last channel in a variable holder object, substitute with a global if that's your preference. This is so that you can stop the specific sound playing if the player skips this line of dialogue.

Dialog_text write "What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from mind to machine would escalate into a war that would span over 4,000 years, and destroy thousands of worlds"

Type the actual dialogue into the text box. Adjust speed to match your sound file.

On end of period "blah 1"

Xaudio stop channel Variable_Holder_SpriteObject.value('Last_Speech')

On start of period "blah2"

rinse, lather, repeat.

• Squish

Thanks for your input!

That was perfect! thanks alot for the help!

I'll give it a go later today, thanks for the easy guideline!

Best,

Mike

• What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from mind to machine would escalate into a war that would span over 4,000 years, and destroy thousands of worlds

It's Flesh to machines. And It's a million worlds.

• Thanks Davio - I was a little rusty on those parts. Those exact two points are literally where I stopped and thought about it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)