Setting angle of motion

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Complete the collection by purchasing Motion Universe Pt. 2
  • This is a nice, simple question so hopefully I can get a speedy answer. I'm making a rocketship (Car behaviour with no deceleration) in space that obviously drifts in space in a pretty laidback way, but the angle of motion is making thrusting in one direction then spinning around and thrusting the other way look weird. It basically does a little loop.

So my question is, is there a way to set the angle of motion to be whatever I want it to be? I'd like to have it be set the way the rocketship is facing.

• It's always a good idea to post your .cap so that people can see what's going wrong. "It basically does a little loop" isn't all that descriptive

And I'm not entirely sure Car behavior is the best choice for spaceship type movement. I assume you're looking for something like Asteroids? You would probably get better results from Custom Movement, or Physics.

• I was a little hesitant to post my .cap file since the game looks like ass right now, but okay!

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxznn0jnn20

Also, thankyou for your help, I will try one of those.

• I did an asteroids-type movement and Custom Movement is perfect for it

• I was a little hesitant to post my .cap file since the game looks like ass right now, but okay!

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxznn0jnn20

Also, thankyou for your help, I will try one of those.

Don't worry about how your game looks, nobody is going to mind

Anyway, that "little loop" is coming from the fact that your hotspot is placed at the nose of your ship. When an object rotates it does so from the hotspot, which Construct assumes is the center of origin. If you want to rotate your ship in a natural looking way, you need to center your hotspot. So thank you for posting your .cap or else nobody would have ever caught that

I took off Car behavior gave your ship Custom Movement. I think it feels more natural and spacey, but you can decide for yourself. Your updated .cap is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/529356/newship.cap

v0.99.82

I realize that you're using an older version of Construct but it may be worth it to you to upgrade because there were some other mistakes (one of them pretty major) that I noticed in your .cap that I corrected and added notes on.

Also, if you plan on making frequent uploads I recommend you get Dropbox, it's very handy. Mediafire is total crap.

• you are a true bro

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • When I tried to open this cap I got a popup that said out of memory? I have version 0.99.62. Is there a way I can load this? Thanks

• When I tried to open this cap I got a popup that said out of memory? I have version 0.99.62. Is there a way I can load this? Thanks

Get the most recent unstable version, should fix the problem.

• Ambrose, he used v 99.84 you can get it here:

Also I noticed that your ship, asteroid, and bullet have black around it to match the black background of space . The problem is that the extra black can also be hit during the collision. What you need to do is make the background for the sprite a transparent. If you use a paint program set the background for transparent and save it as a .png. If you use the construct paint program just do not color it.

If you do not understand I can recolor your graphics for you.

Oh and Welcome to Construct

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)