Platform Behavior Animation Problem

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Ninja char for your game! Make your own Shinobi game with this art.
  • Just a minor problem I've noticed while working on my new game and my last one is with the platforming behavior, when the character jumps onto a platform occasionally he'll become stuck in the falling animation until he falls or jumps again. Its a minor problem and seems to only happen when you just barely make it onto a platform, but its still somewhat annoying. Is there some way to fix this?

• You should upload your .cap so someone can have a look at it, otherwise it's hard to say what's going wrong.

• Sorry, forgot about that.

http://www.mediafire.com/?unomomhyjnh

Just jump on the platforms and eventually you'll end up floating around on one.

• Okay I noticed various things in your cap:

First of all you have an always event which rounds the X and Y position of the player. I don't really know why it's in there in the first place. I can imagine it would cause quite some problems and I'd really recommend to remove it.

Then you have the platform movement assigned to the player sprite itself. You might want to use a simple rectangle dummy sprite to have the platform behavior and add the actual player with animations and all on top of that.

And for animations: you should have a look at tagged animations. Will save you some events. Of course if you have a dummy sprite you will have to add an event which always sets the player sprite animation to the dummy animation.

• Okay I noticed various things in your cap:

First of all you have an always event which rounds the X and Y position of the player. I don't really know why it's in there in the first place. I can imagine it would cause quite some problems and I'd really recommend to remove it.

That might be my fault

Looks like it's based off of the old versions of my tutorials. I had a very flimsy reason for doing the roundX, roundY thing. I've since updated them.

Anyway, it appears that the roundY bit was messing up your falling animation, delete those rounding actions and it works great.

Then you have the platform movement assigned to the player sprite itself. You might want to use a simple rectangle dummy sprite to have the platform behavior and add the actual player with animations and all on top of that.

He doesn't need to! He's using bounding box collisions and his sprite frame size is always 16x16... it'll be fine

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, I did use your tutorial.

But I did see a reason for it, the sprite gets blurred occasionally without it. Haven't seen the updated tutorial. I just don't think it looks good when the sprite gets blurred.

• Set your sampling to Point in the app properties

• Ah... of course I was using an overcomplicated broken method... Thank you.

...now I need to go fix Australopithecus. Curse your lying tutorials.

• Well I did say in the originals that Point will keep your pixel art crisp and that I was only using Linear for smooth rotation

• Meh, you can't expect me to read the boring parts.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)