Physics object orientation left/right

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hello all. I'm working with a multiplayer game, a parody on Super Smash Brothers, involving a few physics-object lobbing characters. Because they throw physics objects, which (I think) don't have a set left(180) right(0) orientation, I run into a problem with pushback.

My problem is that I wish to make the player on the receiving end of the objects get smacked in the related direction. The smacking distance and such I have down, but what I can't figure out is how to allow the pushback events to determine the movement direction (left/right) of a family called 'Projectiles'.

To note: The 'Projectile' family is comprised of bullets, physics objects, and one hybrid.

Here's a quick exe. Characters with parabolic (physics object) attacks are:

Mice and Men

The Crucible

Cuckoo's Nest

Beowulf

and as a hybrid, Inherit the Wind

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/676998/Earlytest.exe

P1

Menu

Select character - arrow keys

Continue - enter

Game

Movement/jumping - arrow keys

Double jump - up again

Fire projectile - Control(right)

Special attack(Inherit the wind) - Num0

Return to menu - Esc

P2

Menu

Select character - WASD

Continue - Enter

Game

Movement/jumping - WASD

Double jump - W again

Fire projectile - Control(left)

Return to menu - Esc

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • for the physics,

Sprite[Physics].VelocityX[/code:1n72dx8u]
    this is an expression under the 'physics' tab when you double click your sprite
    and will return the left and or right speed of your object
    if Sprite[Physics].VelocityX is less than 0 it's going left, and if it's greater than 0 it's going to the right

if you only want a simple left or right value:
    direction will be either -1 for left, 0 for not moving, or 1 for right if you :
    [code:1n72dx8u]
    direction = Sprite[Physics].VelocityX/abs(Sprite[Physics].VelocityX)[/code:1n72dx8u]
    abs is found under the system object and is the absolute value function 

if you want more than just left or right and you want the actual angle it's moving at, that is also possible:
    [code:1n72dx8u]angle(0, 0, Sprite[Physics].VelocityX, Sprite[Physics].VelocityY)[/code:1n72dx8u]

with bullet it would be the same thing, but with Sprite[Bullet].VectorX, etc instead of Sprite[Physics].VelocityX

if you need the family to be both bullets and physics, there is a messier way to do it:

make each object have a private variable LastX that gets set to the current x value at the end of each tick

for left and right
    [code:1n72dx8u]LeftorRightness=sprite('LastX')-Sprite.x[/code:1n72dx8u]
    single left right value:
    [code:1n72dx8u]Xdirection=abs(sprite('LastX')-Sprite.x)/(sprite('LastX')-Sprite.x)[/code:1n72dx8u]
    for exact angle 
    [code:1n72dx8u]anglemovingat = angle(sprite('LastX'), sprite('LastY'), Sprite.X, Sprite.Y)[/code:1n72dx8u]
    the last action after getting this info should be:
    [code:1n72dx8u]sprite('LastX')=Sprite.X
    sprite('LastY')=Sprite.Y[/code:1n72dx8u]
    so that next tick, lastx and lasty will always equal the previous ticks x and y values
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)