Need help with skin

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • I have sun burn and I'm wondering what a good product to use on my skin would be?

Only joking. I been experimenting in Construct for a way to create a 'skin' effect, that where a mesh deforms in such a way that it acts like skin around bones. I haven't applied the mesh distortion yet, I'm just positioning the objects. However...I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I thought I understood how skin worked, but maybe i've missed something...I'm wondering if theres any 3d modeller pros out there that understand how skin deformation works

• in maya, polys/tris are selected and then weighted as to how much they are allowed to be deformed

not really sure how this would work into 2d images ... hopefully someone can figure out a solution!

• well what happens if you weigh everything to 0, and then everything to 1? Does the mesh appear 'stuck' to a single bone? And what happens if you weigh everything to 0.5...does the mesh kinda bend or does it rotate inbetween the bones? I need maya god dammit >.<

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okay made a better version that deforms the mesh...the code in here would literally just be Sprite.x, Sprite.y with the addition of the new action, but for now I have to use the mathematical work around....

Anyway this seems more like how i'd expect skinning to be...

Hold space to see the skinning

• Hm, was the blue sprite (Sprite2) supposed to mesh? It doesn't seem to be doing anything. There is no 'space key' event, either.

• In the 3D program I've got, upon selecting a vertex you can use sliders to set the influence of each bone. It appears you've got it right, because it's acting the same way my 3D program does - holding down either mouse button is like using the sliders. If the points on the right are weighted to 1, then they're controlled less by the bone on the right and more by the bone on the left and visa versa.

Edit 3: Sorry about the stupidly written post. Everything in your .cap behaves exactly the same as in my 3D program.

Setting everything to one will cause the entire mesh to be moved by that one bone, exactly like you have it.

Setting everything to 0.5 looks exactly like if you set the weights on each sprite to 0.5. The mesh rotates and shrinks.

It looks awesome. The only option I might ask for is if there was a way to keep the thickness uniform as well, like in Drasa's 'spine 3.cap' here: http://www.scirra.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1482&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=spine&start=20

• well what happens if you weigh everything to 0, and then everything to 1? Does the mesh appear 'stuck' to a single bone? And what happens if you weigh everything to 0.5...does the mesh kinda bend or does it rotate inbetween the bones? I need maya god dammit >.<

you didnt post anything my friend, AND I WANNA SEE IT!!!

• Arg dammit forgot to attach the file >.< Wont be able to for another 6 hours

• Ok forgive me if I sound like a newb, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this for 2d.

Essentially what your wanting to do is set how much, and where a single sprite will be deformed when its moved by the bones?

Then to do this you'll be going into the sprite and scale it by rows or columns of pixels?

Example:

!!!!!!

could look like

!

!

!

!

!

!!

• Have you downloaded the .cap?

Each point represents a point on the sprite. The sprite will bend along with the bones.

To see a video of it in action, they use this type of thing in the aquaria trailer in numerous places.

• Okay back from work, heres the 'skin' version. Hold space to see it without guides

• Impressive! Though it looks bit pinched in the joint; perhaps adding a ball joint would make it seem more realistic?

• That looks really cool

• looks like a wibbly wobbly cookie monster wang.

this is nice david, might use it to map material jackets or wtv onto my character thats uses ik, that would make him uber complicated xD

• Great work David

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)