Layout Object - How to Use?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I was thinking of trying to throw a description out on the wiki of the Layout Object, but I'm having trouble thinking of what examples I would use.

Anybody use the Layout Object for anything or have some good ideas of how it would be used in a game? Thanks!

• theres a layout object?

• yeah, crazy huh. I've messed with it some and you can do neat stuff like embed layouts inside other ones, you could make a little room be one layout and add cool effects only if you entered the room... I don't know. Just thinking what other people are doing with it, or maybe they don't use it at all??

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Do you know if theres a way you can make a section of one layout invisible to see through to the other one, or would it just show that white looking part of the screen like if you didn't have a background?

Seeing this post the other day gave me an idea for a tool to create, but don't know if it would work

• I use the Layout object mainly for compartalisation. Say I'm doing an RTS. The Worldmap may be the layout object while the UI may be in the layout itself. When you want a little compartmentalized object with its own coding and actions, use the layout object.

I believe someone used the layout object really well when they were making a "Two camera" game a few months ago.

• I use the Layout object mainly for compartalisation. Say I'm doing an RTS. The Worldmap may be the layout object while the UI may be in the layout itself. When you want a little compartmentalized object with its own coding and actions, use the layout object.

I believe someone used the layout object really well when they were making a "Two camera" game a few months ago.

Thanks for the info. Great suggestions for how to use it. All experiment with it some more and hopefully get a good wiki entry up within a few weeks.

MisfitBYTE hmmm very interesting idea. I'm not sure, but I'll have to experiment with it. A workaround would probably to just put the layout object to the front and it wouldn't matter if the main layout was invisible.

• No, I meant the other way 'round...looking through the layout object to the main layout. It would help if I actually tried my idea, but theres a lot of them rambling around.

If anyone is interested, in seeing it later or doing something similar what I was thinking was a tool to help with scripting an RPG...where you can run your cap, walk around in the world and when you talk to an NPC that doesn't have dialog attatched to it yet, this other layout would pop up to give you all kinds of options for inputting your dialog right there. Then when you're done with the project, you either uninclude the event sheets for it or just delete the whole layout and the game runs as normal.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)