Image Manipulator help needed

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • I've never had to use the image manipulator a lot before, certainly not for this purpose, so before I go spending an hour or two with trial and error, I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts/solutions first.

On this unexpected side-project I decided to work on this week, I want to be able to allow the game to be modded by simply replacing the bitmaps used.

I've seen plenty of discussions here on sprite-sheets, but I can't remember if anyone found a way of doing it.

What I want is to be able to read a 256x512 bitmap from disk and take the 32x32 tiles from this and place them into the angles of the sprite.

I'm probably going to have a crack at this later, before I go to bed, but any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Krush.

• Load the tileset graphic into the image manipulator and run a loop that's using the crop action to cut it into 32x32 tiles. Either just apply math for the loop or use an array (256/32 x 512/32 x 1 size), then you could apply the correct crop coordinates from that easily. And respectively copy it back to the desired frame/angle of the sprite of course.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There was something in the back of my mind that said that this wasn't as straight forward as it seems, which is why I made this thread, but it went very smoothly.

I found several old threads discussing this before I saw your reply, and even found one that I started (similar question for a totally different reason), and there was a lot of talk of how buggy the image manipulator is.

It seems that some of it has been sorted, as you no longer need to flip the cropped area.

I did have to have a separate sprite to hold the full image, as crop did indeed crop the image loaded, so instead of loading the main image again for each loop iteration, I just copied it over from the holding sprite.

Many thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Both the level editor and the game now have fully moddable graphics.

Krush.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)