Deformable Terrain, not just destructible

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • It's not often I make one of these threads... so hopefully someone else has a better idea of how this might work than I do.

I want to mess around with making some deformable terrain... not just destructable. I've been looking at some of the existing cap files for using the canvas object to "chop" holes out of the "ground", but I am also looking at a way to make the ground collapse if the "foundation" is blown away but there is overhang remainaing.

If you aren't sure what I mean, take a look at the old Scorched Earth game, or the more recent Pocket Tanks.

Any hints or ideas on how to achieve this would be awesome.

Thanks

~Sol

• Here is an example of what I mean by the way... fast forward to around 1:10 and watch until about 1:40.

~Sol

• Sol i know what you mean, i used to be a big fan of pocket tanks with meh brother. I have an idea how to make this, ill try to whip it up quickly.

• Sol i know what you mean, i used to be a big fan of pocket tanks with meh brother. I have an idea how to make this, ill try to whip it up quickly.

If you manage to make it, you will officailly be a living legend. Between myself, Mipey, Zack, Dave, Shviller, and Deadeye... we have been unable to make something that works reliably on a pixel sized basis.

If you get something working, upload it and link it here... I gotta go to bed for now though I'd love to hang around lol.

~Sol

• Hey now, I haven't been unsuccessful. You can't be unsuccessful if you don't actually try

• http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/629300/colla ... errain.cap

Not even half way done, as I can't find a way to make nice round holes, but the idea is to 'chop' the vertical lines where there is a hole, spawn another line, have it drop slowly until it lands, despawn and set height to the new height.

This is the least CPU intensive method and as such the fastest I've found.

• i made a brute-force approach that runs very slow: here it is.

• [quote:2f1nfr15] the idea is to 'chop' the vertical lines where there is a hole, spawn another line, have it drop slowly until it lands, despawn and set height to the new height.

this was exactly my idea. . Had to goto work after i posted, so i havent had a chance to finish my example. from the looks of it mipeys on the right track. ill try to finish my example soon.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • EDIT: Nevermind about it being funky, I just fixed it up and it works perfectly now. Here's the new download link:

Deformable terrain

• Wow holy bejesus all of you... thanks a crap-load!

All of you guys had different ideas and solutions to the problem that all work rather well in thier own respects! I have to say, I was beginning to think this was going to be impossible... thanks again all of you, I would have had zero chance of figuring this out myself. Maybe I can make something with it now

Cheers again!

~Sol

• linkman, you are my hero! very cool :D

• linkman, you are my hero! very cool

Your example was indeed very cool as well... I liked how you both manaed pretty much the same thing, but by doing completely different approaches to the problem, and Mipey's example, while not exactly wht I was hoping for, offered yet another solution and gave me some ideas for a particular implementation of his method.

You guys all rock

~Sol

• I came into this topic when it was created thinking that there was little chance of it being accomplished, but here I am proven wrong by the extremely talented Construct community. The end result is sensational.

Good works guys!

• Pretty cool I must say

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)