Creating a blank layout at runtime, min sys req

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Fill in the Blanks. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • I have two questions:

1. Say your .exe game has 3 layouts, but you want the end user to be able to click a command and create an unlimited number of blank layouts (so he/she can maybe import music and/or video into)... can that be done? I've always been curious about this.

2. I realize that mileage varies with this, but do these minimum system requirements sound right for games made with Construct?

Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7, Direct X9, 64mb RAM, Intel Pentium 3 400 MhZ or equivalent processor.

What do you think?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 64mb RAM, and a 400mhz CPU, honestly? My pc from 15 years ago had more RAM than that, and it had a 333mhz processor, and a 6 GB hard drive.

I'd say the bare minimum is 500 mhz processor, 128mb ram, and some kind of graphics hardware with DX9. Even with that you're pushing it. The event engine bogs down HARD on slower cpus with anything remotely complex. Anything with shaders will also kill framerates on older gpus.

Anything made with Construct needs some kind of graphics card to run at acceptable frame rates. I just don't think a 15 year old pc would cut it.

2. How can you import video into the runtime? You can't without a special plugin or python. You can let the user load music, but what do layouts have to do with that? You can just simulate different "layouts" with proper design, all on a single layout.

• Thanks Davioware,

1. Yeah, I figured it was awfully low, but I was just thinking of some random low numbers to see if it were possible.

2. Yeah, I realize that can be done within one layout, but my curiosity is just with finding out if additional layouts can be created at runtime regardless of music or video importing... I'm just wondering if it's possible. It's not something I've ever heard come up with an event-based dev program before.

I haven't used the video object in a while, but if I remember correctly, it allows you to access and play video based on a file path expression. I meant that rather than importing the file as a whole.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)