Considering I have no artistic imagination...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Recommend me games to look up videos for. I'm trying to make an action platformer with a strong emphasis on flashy, awesome fighting. But I have no idea how to make certain things like sword-slashes, hammer hits, arrows, etc. look. No idea at all. I haven't had enough exposure to that stuff to get a good idea of how it should look. So does anyone have any good, flashy, awesome, fighting games I can take a look at? I've seen some people make some cool beat-'em-up effects here on this site too, but unfortunately, I just have no eye for that. ;_; So does anyone have any games to recommend for me to rip-off? er, draw inspiration from?

CRAP. I meant for this to be in Classic Construct's Help board. ><;

• I would make the core game with block graphics. Then after you get it working add the fancy graphics.

Great games start with sold foundations, otherwise you just have fluff.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Guyon's advice is the best thing you could do - concentrate on laying a solid foundation before you start to worry about flashy graphics. If it looks good but the basic construction is poor, it will feel poor however good your graphics look.

In terms of the actual graphics... since you want to concentrate on flashy graphics, I would spend an evening on MobyGames/Youtube and take a look at some modern, weapons based beat em up games (2d ideally, maybe one of the more recent Street Fighter games) and make some notes on how they looks and feel and what kind of things you would like to replicate. Not really up on them but try looking for something like Strider if you're going for a retro angle, or search for Marvel vs Capcom Strider as I think the character appears in that aswell

• Great games start with sold foundations, otherwise you just have fluff.

+1

• And I know I should get the basics of the battle system down first, but it's hard to figure out how it should go exactly without some visual aid. I'm not sure how big to make the hit boxes without first drawing the frames for the weapon's animation, you know? I know I should get the gameplay down pat, but I figured I'd ask a side-question since I can't make up my mind on how to get that going. Besides, seeing some other examples might help give me an idea for that.

Furthermore, I'm not even sure how I'd program it at all. @; I almost feel I should ask someone else to help me do the events, but I'm pretty sure if I gave the .cap to them, they'd drown in all the various events...

• Also once you have a good solid game graphics guys will be happy to do the art for you to be part of the project.

Tips his hat to Wastrel. Thank you

• Also once you have a good solid game graphics guys will be happy to do the art for you to be part of the project.

Tips his hat to Wastrel. Thank you

Yes yes yes, that's very nice and all, but it seems I wasn't clear enough in my second post.

First-off, it's something else to work on while figuring out exactly how I want my battle system to work. Becaaauuuse...

..I can't make up my mind on how to get that going.

And at the very least, seeing some gameplay videos of other battle systems in games matching what I'm going for might give me some ideas or inspiration for what to do in my own.

esides, seeing some other examples might help give me an idea for that.

Also, I'd like to work on SOME of the animation and battle system hand-in-hand. At least some rough idea, so I know what size and shape to make the collision boxes.

Besides, like I said, this is just something to work on in the meantime. And this thread wasn't about asking anyone to do art for me, either...

• Kisai

About fighting, i suggest this page: http://www.stickpage.com/

Focus on the "head", "left hand", "right hand", "left feet", "right feet".

Watch some Bruce Lee's movies again and again :P

• If your not the most artistic being, play with stick men figure's i often see games that use stick-men and sketchy graphics which generally work well, they would appeal to a younger target audience.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)