Build Problems with VC 2008 Prof (solved)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Create your own beautiful snowman in this fun game!
  • I began working through the "How To: Create a plugin" tutorial on the Construct Wiki, and I have encountered a problem. When I choose Build > Batch Build from the menu bar, and click the "Build" or "Rebuild" button on the Batch Build window, everything appears to work just fine. I get no errors or warnings. Yet, on the next step of the tutorial, you are supposed to be able to open Construct to view the "Template" object you just made. When I open Construct, the "Template" object is nowhere to be found in the insert object browser, nor can I find any matching plugin files in the "Plugins" or "Plugins\Runtime" folders.

It's as if everything is building correctly, and simply being put in the wrong place. The tutorial doesn't make any mention of moving files after building, and I can't find any .csx in the folder hierarchy of the project either. I do see the files "Template.csx.embed.manifest" and "Template.csx.intermediate.manifest", but I don't know if they are meaningful under the circumstances.

I'm using MS VC 2008 Professional Edition, and upon opening the .sln file I'm prompted to "convert" the project to a 2008 compatible version, which I do, (as I apparently have to, to open it in VC 2008). Construct is installed to "C:\Program Files\Scirra\Construct", which I believe is the default path.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going wrong here, or any advice?

=== Solution (edit)

Solution: (for VC2008 based on Lucid's suggestion below)

1: In the IDE, (VC2008 in my case) Check to see where the linker will put the completed files after a build, by choosing Project > Properties. Then expand Configuration Properties > Linker > General.

2: In the "Template SDK Property Pages" window, find the "Output File" property, which will most likely be set to "..\..\IDE\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx".

3: You can change the "IDE" part of "..\..\IDE\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx" to "Construct", so that after a build, the plugin files will automatically be placed in construct for you. (e.g. "..\..\Construct\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx")

4: At the top left of the "Template SDK Property Pages" window, you should see a "Configuration" dropbox. Here you can select and view each of the 5 configurations, "active(Runtime)", "Debug", "Debug Runtime", "Release", and "Runtime". Each of these has it's own "Output File" field, which can be changed in the manner described in step 3.

Done

• this took me a little bit of time to figure out, too. if you go into one of the menus, i think it's options, or project

you'll find template project properties.

in here,

without it right in front of me, i dont know everything for sure, but its something along these lines

under common, there should be linker properties,

you need to do this setting for both the release, and runtime, which can be selecgted from a dropdown list at the topbof the window

under linker properties youll find the default path...if you just change the first part of the path after the '..'s, to construct it will go to the correct directories, or you can move it manually, but you may as well bchange it, if you plan to start amking plugijns, so you can compile over and over with no hassle

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • (solved)

Yeah, that was it. I had been looking in the wrong place. Thanks Lucid .

I amended the first post to include the solution.

=== === ===

Solution: (for VC2008 based on Lucid's suggestion)

1: In the IDE, (VC2008 in my case) Check to see where the linker will put the completed files after a build, by choosing Project > Properties. Then expand Configuration Properties > Linker > General.

2: In the "Template SDK Property Pages" window, find the "Output File" property, which will most likely be set to "..\..\IDE\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx".

3: You can change the "IDE" part of "..\..\IDE\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx" to "Construct", so that after a build, the plugin files will automatically be placed in construct for you. (e.g. "..\..\Construct\Plugins\Runtime\Template.csx")

4: At the top left of the "Template SDK Property Pages" window, you should see a "Configuration" dropbox. Here you can select and view each of the 5 configurations, "active(Runtime)", "Debug", "Debug Runtime", "Release", and "Runtime". Each of these has it's own "Output File" field, which can be changed in the manner described in step 3.

Done

=== === ===

Thanks again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)