[Stupid question] Linux version?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • I have a simple question: Will there ever be a linux version of construct?

Cuz' i wanna get rid of windows and i can't do this because of construct! It won't run on wine either!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No, Construct will always be Windows only.

Construct 2 may have the ability to build games that run on Linux, but the program itself will still be a Windows program I believe.

• No, Construct will always be Windows only.

Construct 2 may have the ability to build games that run on Linux, but the program itself will still be a Windows program I believe.

This sucks... Ah well... Guess i'm gonna buy a new anti-virus

The mods may close/delete the thread if they want to.....

• It's a valid question so we're not going to delete it!

We're all volunteers working in our spare time so we want our work to hit as wide an audience as possible as easily as possible. That means developing for one platform only, and the most popular platform, for the IDE anyway. There might be a future Linux runtime for Construct 2, but I'd rather write a Mac runtime first...

• Will Wine work?

• I don't know, isn't that a question for the Wine developers?

• I don't think Wine updates to the latest DirectX very often.

• I don't think Wine updates to the latest DirectX very often.

Actually, they constantly keep updated, but they never seem to fully finish converting Direct X before another version comes out. :/

• Construct still uses the August 2008 version of DirectX, so as long as they've finished that, it'll work.

• Wine works perfectly. Wine for OSX also works perfectly. The games might crash on exit, but big deal.

• Wine works perfectly. Wine for OSX also works perfectly. The games might crash on exit, but big deal.

well thats brand new! never heard of wine working properly with construct ever before :O

If it's crashing on exit, it's not working perfectly.

• It did not work to well on my linux a while back.. It sometimes crash and sometimes flaky.. but im sure you could get it to work with tweaking?

• Here is a video I did 2 weeks ago. It's taken from my hackintosh running 10.5.8 (same as a regular mac, just the kernel has been... updated and I can use better hardware. Currently sporting a Phenom 955 and a Geforce 9800GT. Oh yeah, it's cheaper too!)

As you can see everything works perfect, full 60fps even with my horrendous fake bloom. This also means full dx9 compatibility.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • I'm not here often, and I don't use Construct often, but I was told there would be a Linux version of Construct as soon as SDL was able to do what DirectX does. (This was months ago.) Considering I have no experience with either SDK, I assume this will never be possible. If I'm wrong, I'm glad I am.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)