Splitting levels up into many layouts VS a single layout

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Unlock Levels, Worlds & skin plus add coins by watching ads
  • I'm still in the design phase of a game and I was wondering which direction I should take. I'm making a shooter with 5 to 8 different levels in addition to an introduction animation and a handful of menus. Is it possible to put all the levels inside one massive layout and simply make the camera move from one to the next as desired, or is it wiser to split up the levels into their respective layouts?

I mainly want to prevent having to recode many separate layouts down the line if I realize I want to change a particular mechanic. Perhaps there's another way I'm not seeing?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• I mainly want to prevent having to recode many separate layouts down the line if I realize I want to change a particular mechanic. Perhaps there's another way I'm not seeing?

You don't have to worry about recoding lots of different layouts. Construct has separate event sheets that you can re-use. For instance, you can do all of your controls on one event sheet, and then in your level layout's events right click and select "Include Event Sheet" and pick your controls.

To create a new event sheet, select "Application" in your project tab, then click on "Add/Edit" under Manage Event Sheets in the application properties.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That's right, you can add event sheets in Application Properties and include them in any layout's events, so you can have one central place to edit events. You can even organise them in to separate sheets, as well as groups. So to answer your question - the only reason you'd want all your levels crammed in to one layout would be if you wanted seamless scrolling between levels. Otherwise, level design might be a bit of a headache

• Thanks guys! That's a great thing to find out about this program.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)