Soft Skinning

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
15 loopable and soft rain ambiences, specially designed to make your projects sound relaxing
  • Soft skinning feature for the actual bones system to weight an image with bones. Something like this:

Anime Studio Pro:

After Effects Puppet Tool: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/885847/puppet_tool_in_adobe_after_effects_cs3/

• it is possible to program this in manually with sprite distortion

I was working on this when I got the flu, so I won't be able to post an example soon

obviously not as easy and fun as if it were automatic, but it is possible

• Wow, I didn't know ae cs3 could do that. Flash cs4 "just" came out with soft skinning on shapes, but I think the after effects version with the mesh looks pretty cool. It would also be nice to have an option for the joints to have rigid borders so you don't get the artificial indent when the limbs bend. And rotation constraints. But that's asking a lot, I think.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I added a new action into construct's sprite object which allows you to set a distortion point by a layout co-ordinate. This allows you to easy make say 10x10 'point' objects, and loop through them setting the displacement points on a sprite to those points.

Now, for skinning, you basically need to write code that 'sticks' an object onto another object such that if the other object rotates, moves, or resizes, the object that is 'stuck' will reposition accordingly. Skinning then works by 'weighting' these values. So you calculate the position for the object if it was stuck to the arm (for example), and the position of the object if it was stuck to the torso, and then calculate in with weights. eg: position = 0.6 * arm_position + 0.4 * torso_position.

The maths is pretty simple, but making the skin look realistic is an art. In the 3d program 'maya' it allowed you to 'paint' the weight values, so you would select the arm bones, and then the vertices on the 3d model would all become shades of grey determined by their 'weight' value.

Anyway, this is a really advanced stuff! I mean Aquaria won indie game of the year for 2007, and the main character was animated with the same method as my bone movement (as I have illustrated in another thread). I guess we are in 2009 so technology has changed.

What I've been thinking about doing is creating an 'advanced stuff' object, which would embody lots of complicated functions and stuff, such as calculating angles for IK, finding the other side of a triangle, and basically just various calculations that are rather lengthy to write as an expression, but can give your games that 'edge' over other games. Plus machine code is faster at evaluating equations, so it would be faster and easier to use.

• Anyway, this is a really advanced stuff! I mean Aquaria won indie game of the year for 2007, and the main character was animated with the same method as my bone movement (as I have illustrated in another thread). I guess we are in 2009 so technology has changed.

What I've been thinking about doing is creating an 'advanced stuff' object, which would embody lots of complicated functions and stuff, such as calculating angles for IK, finding the other side of a triangle, and basically just various calculations that are rather lengthy to write as an expression, but can give your games that 'edge' over other games. Plus machine code is faster at evaluating equations, so it would be faster and easier to use.

this, all of it.

• yay

I had no idea there were so many other people looking for 2d skinning

• well, that object david wants to make would be awesome!

• I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds awesome... so yeah... kick ass!

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)