Random Movement?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • I was wondering if this could possibly be added as a checkbox option for the 2/4/8 direction movement systems. It might help save people some time depending on what game they are making.

-thanks!

• Um... what would it do?

• It would make the object/person move around the screen randomly, preferably in some kind of an intelligent manner (not continuously running into a wall). It would be useful if you want to add a bunch of NPC's that don't need to follow a specific path.

• That's a very vague definition. You can't just bolt on 'intelligent' movement in a generic way. What exactly are you after?

• I was thinking of something similar to how towns in RPGs have villagers who wander around randomly.

They usually stick around the same general area but they never just stand still or only walk in one direction. Maybe it could be a seperate behavior?

Then again, I'm not sure if many other people would have a need for it. Maybe I should just event it myself.

• It should be relatively easy to code it yourself, perhaps in conjunction with the rts object

• It should be relatively easy to code it yourself, perhaps in conjunction with the rts object

Yeah, wait x milliseconds and if nothing is occupying the same space, turn 90 degrees and walk for another x milliseconds, then check the space around you again and turn another 90 degrees, etc. Wouldn't take long to get it right.

I was just kind of thinking; "Too bad there isn't a 'random movement' button' to make things faster."

• While it would be handy, it's really for specific cases, not all games have the same view or movement or anything, i think that it might be possible, especially in the rts behaviour's case, but a more realistic view would be coding your own unfortunately

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Speaking of which... PATH BEHAVIOR

I think someone already suggested this movement, how's the plan of making it ?

Yeah I have to second this. It would help in a lot of cases that I have been using in the past, as well as my current project. Trying to set inital X and Y coordinates, and blah blah blah.... it's harder than it should be, but still possible. A path movement behaviour would rock.

~Sol

• > It should be relatively easy to code it yourself, perhaps in conjunction with the rts object

>

Yeah, wait x milliseconds and if nothing is occupying the same space, turn 90 degrees and walk for another x milliseconds, then check the space around you again and turn another 90 degrees, etc. Wouldn't take long to get it right.

I was just kind of thinking; "Too bad there isn't a 'random movement' button' to make things faster."

Or you can set it to move to a random position every random amount of milliseconds. Then add all the things you want it to avoid as a pathfinding obstacle. Make sure you have the RTS pathfinding set to "Custom" instead of "Around 'Solid'". If you want it to move around everything set as a solid, then keep it at "Around 'Solid'" and do what I mentioned about pathfinding obstacles for things that aren't set as a solid.

Third'ed. Maybe we should start a new thread about it... or bump an old one.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)