post your simplest stairway implementation(using platform)

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
We present to you “Post Apocalyptic Trailer” – our newest hard hitting, bass rumbling designed movie trailer collection.
  • chatting in chat with some contructors, and it's universally agreed that stairs are kinda hard to make in construct

three requirements:

1)stairs that you can either walk by, or walk up or down if you choose.

2)and stairs that can be walked up by one platformer, while walked through by another platformer

3)it's best if the solution doesn't require overriding the default platform behavior temporarily.

admittedly, I'd like a simple solution for my current project, but also, this could help anyone else who's gone through the various steps to try and implement stairs. (get it? steps?)

anyway, this is the simplest solution I could come up with without overriding default platform behavior. and it's not as simple as I'd like. I feel there's probably a simpler way.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1013446/stairyouintheeye.cap

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, I tried my hand at it and found it to be somewhat tricky. I was able to do #1 and #3, but not #2. For that I personally would have to make my own platformer movement with events (would be less hacky).

Here it is:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5426011/examples/stairsExample.cap

The events are not really much simpler, but the in editor setup is easier.

-cheers

• Wow that's a great job there, it did everything I expected it to do.

I haven't done stairs in Construct yet. But in some of my past projects I always had the stairs graphic tilted at a bit of a perspective angle. That way I could just throw down a sloped collision block and the player would run up them normally. It's just an optical illusion, a cheat but it looks good and can save time unless you really do need perfect stairs.

• Just gave it a shot... and yeah, like R0J0hound said, I would probably want to make my own platform movement for something like this.

Would be much easier if we could set collisions with objects on a per-sprite basis at runtime.

• This would be much simpler if Construct had Layer collision.

• well, I solved the problem like this:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6775

super simple, but yeah, disabling collision per layer would be good too

• Wow that's a great job there, it did everything I expected it to do.

I haven't done stairs in Construct yet. But in some of my past projects I always had the stairs graphic tilted at a bit of a perspective angle. That way I could just throw down a sloped collision block and the player would run up them normally. It's just an optical illusion, a cheat but it looks good and can save time unless you really do need perfect stairs.

I like this way best

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)