MORPG

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • Why would it hammer the server? Bandwidth wise, or CPU wise?

• Why would it hammer the server? Bandwidth wise, or CPU wise?

bandwidth, imagine 1 message user->server and 1 message server<-user per second (about one fourth to half the speed WoW does communicate with blizzard's server) per user.

let us assume, the user is playing about two hours a day. let us also assume, there are 500 users. let's assume a standard message sent to server is something like "hi!i'm at x800x600facing90attacking polar bear" = 46 bytes, for easier counting, 64b (send some variables maybe?). finally let's assume, the message from server is something like this: "ok, you attack a polar bear for 48hp, other players around you: otherplayer1/x810y615\otherplayer2/x820y625" = 107 bytes with only 2 players around, so we can round it to 128 without worries. so, 192b per second per user. 192*60s*60m*2h/1024=1350kB per day per user. 1350*500/1024 users = 659mB per day! this assuming, the 500 players plays for two hours daily.

the database is a second thing, imagine 500 queries per second

hope I saved hours of constructing before someone hot on "i'm making mmo" realized the above. sad. but true. but I'd love to see what you've done when you're done, good luck!

• 600MB isnt that much for 500 players! If ANY game here got even 20 players on playing 2 hours a day that would be a huge success.

Most game servers should be prepared to spend at least 20GB of bandwidth a month on it. Thats not much anyway.

I think that there obviously will be issues, but i dont think that the one you pointed out is really the biggest one. But yeah, you certainly have a point though.

• A HTTP/SQL based game is going to hammer a server pretty hard, even a dedicated one. It's just not the right solution for a scalable or realtime game. If there's 50 players in a room, the sql database is logging each of those and then recalling them for each client who requests it, it's not practical.

• Well I finnaly finnished it off (Been lazy) and it works. but it lags like hell.

So one quick question. Would it be easyer to make a server in python?

• Well I finnaly finnished it off (Been lazy) and it works. but it lags like hell.

So one quick question. Would it be easyer to make a server in python?

you can try and make a server in php (sockets)

• Is Construct even able to handle tiles yet? I mean, there are many MORPG engines for VB and C++, some of which are very nice. Why would we use Construct for such games?

• Tiles have been promised

Also an online plugin has been promised.

Now, why a MORPG in Construct? no idea. Why not? well, mostly because doing a MORPG is a Bad Idea(tm). You can try though, and find out by yourself why they say that.

Maybe you can even get it to work, which would be awesome.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can make your own tile engine in Construct - or anything else you desire. Just gotta know your way within Construct.

• I've decided to start learning C++ hopefully I'll be able to make a plugin or something.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)