IK and bones integrated into physics

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
A pack of blood, flesh and bone sounds for War, Battlefield, Medieval Weapon, Fighting, Horror, containing 300 SFXs.
  • inverse kinematics both during animating and at runtime.

bones integrated into physics engine for ragdoll effects

constraints on bone movement, ie limit degrees of movement

add spring force to joints and hinges (one and the same once integrated)

'motorized' hinges/joints (for instance lever that can rotate on it's own with a given speed and force, and be acted upon and resisted by outside forces)

that would all be awesome

• bones integrated into physics engine for ragdoll effects

Hmm, could you do anything but a ragdoll effect? Would there be a way for the character to hold up some of its limbs so he didn't go completely limp? Or maybe if a rolling object collided with him it would take his legs out from under him and cause him to fall on his face.

• Hmm, could you do anything but a ragdoll effect? Would there be a way for the character to hold up some of its limbs so he didn't go completely limp? Or maybe if a rolling object collided with him it would take his legs out from under him and cause him to fall on his face.

exactly what I was getting at with the motorized limbs. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to program, but yes, that's exactly the type of thing I'd want to see. or on a simpler level an arm that could try to pull an object or character that was trying to pull in the opposite direction. a clockwork gear that could be jammed or slowed down by someone standing on it, depending on the strength of the motor.

another great feature (which quazi proved shouldn't be too difficult in the other IK thread) would be to give bones targets. (move joint toward x,y) for instance - if you wanted a character to grab for a moving object whether they could reach it or not. if they grabbed it and the moving object had enough momentum it could pull them off their feet, like a character grabbing a train moving by and being dragged by it. this could also be used to control head movement to follow objects. to aim a gun being held by a character with two joints for each arm, etc.

so yes, if bones and bone animation and IK were integrated into physics, it'd be possible to create animations that have a certain strength and attempt to complete at the mercy of outside forces.

also, an example of springy hinges would be a diving board, or a tree limb that would spring back into place after it was moved (2 or 3 springy joints). you would be able to set torque force, spring force, and damping force, to create everything from mousetraps, to long grassblades, or hair. the bones/hinges whether sprung or not should be able to be affected by gravity. I understand it might be possible to create those things now, but the difference in look and feel for a treelimb or hair that is affected by physics is night and day.

• This would be really cool, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's pretty hard to do and won't appear before 1.0.

On the list nevertheless.

• If we get all things we want in 1.0 or soon after it construct will become 1.5gig uber duper game creator tool :p

• and we need only one thing "create game" button...just select from the list what kind of game you want, and you have it! lol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • this would be really cool, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's pretty hard to do and won't appear before 1.0.

the ragdoll motorized animation thing could probably be difficult.

but the motorized hinges, the sprung hinges, and the ik I think are fairly reasonable. As I said quazi already managed a fast IK example, for bones .

and motorized hinges is the easy part if you've already got hinge physics (which it does). as for constraints on the rotation of hinges, that's also much easier than making hinges in the first place.

as for combining IK for bones with physics, it seems like a natural progression.

• ik mixed in with physics may already be possible, and spring hinges are already possible, if you use a small trick

all you need to do is hinge your diving board

then create a small dummy object (immovable, with collision to any object disabled) under the diving boards end about 50 pixels, then create a spring from that object to the end of the diving board.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)