Edit Alpha Channel???

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Is a system for building scorecards and achievements online for use in games Using this system, you can create a scorebo
  • well maybe i just havnt found it yet, but how come theres no way of editing the alpha channel as just a black and white image, separate from the actual colour info.

what i mean is

-you have a cloud texture which fades to black on the edges,

-first you draw white everywhere on the colour info

-then you click "edit alpha channel"

-all the transparent parts go black, and all the non trans go white, ect you know what i mean

-then you load in your cloud texture as the alpha channel

-you unclick "edit alpha channel"

-and your left with a clean cloud which looks like a cloud.

I Think this is an essential feature for using alpha channels, its not feasible to make one by just drawing in varying opacitys when you have one for something as complicated as a cloud

• -you have a cloud texture which fades to black on the edges

Often additive or screen looks good if you have a texture drawn on a black background.

[quote:xknux4ad]how come theres no way of editing the alpha channel as just a black and white image

The built in tools already use alpha channels. Have a play with the brush hardness etc - you can draw with nice soft brushes which automatically affect alpha. Or, you can use the Erase tool in a similar way, with hardness to erase softly from images. So you could draw your cloud, and use the erase tool to soften out the edges with alpha.

I don't think theres any real need to edit the alpha separately as a black and white channel. I think the brushes the picture editor has do a good job. And of course you can always draw graphics in more advanced editors like photoshop and import them - but I think even photoshop doesn't have a separate alpha channel editor

• but I think even photoshop doesn't have a separate alpha channel editor

Actually it does, but you don't really ever need to used it unless you're doing really advanced stuff. And messing with the alpha channel separately from the image is not something you want to do unless you really know what you're doing.

As for QuaziGNRLnose: The image editor does automatically handle alpha already, but the best way to get total control over your graphics is to use a separate graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP, then export .png with transparency. Construct will import the transparency no problem.

Even if the image editor is beefed up with a lot more options, it will never have the functionality of a dedicated graphics program like Photoshop.

Or WILL IT?

• kk, i tried it in photoshop, u just need to make a layer mask and save for web,

i dint know construct could import alphas thats all.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • kk, i tried it in photoshop, u just need to make a layer mask and save for web,

Huh? I guess that's one way of doing it. Another way would be to not flatten your image and just save as .png. The transparency will be saved automatically.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)