Construct's version of Daily Click

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: Simple, negative, pozitive
  • You're forgetting the main thing :

Compare Construct 1.0 to MMF 2 without extensions.

Construct 1.0 wins so much.

MMF2 has extensions, but Construct supports them too! So it's up to the community to create whatever they need, a pixel physics? Other stuff? All possible with plugins.

You have a point, but the reverse is true also... MMF extension developers can (and have) extend(ed) the capabilities of MMF.

So will Construct have per-pixel physics one day? It's likely. Then MMF will have this. And Construct will have that. And back and forth. There will always be advantages that one has over the other. It's up to people to decide for themselves which they want, or need.

All I'm saying is that right now (with Construct in an incomplete state) if want to make a hassle-free game and you can use MMF, then use MMF.

Personally, I think MMF is superior to Game Maker. But Game Maker has a much larger community than MMF. Go figure. It's all about what people are comfortable with.

When the time is right, users will come. Already a couple of people who saw my thread at TIGS have tried out Construct. I think that's going to be the best way to spread the word for now... just make some cool stuff and throw it out there for people to enjoy. Those that are interested will bite.

• Yeah, I got sent here thanks to deadeye and his hitler game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think after 1.0, when the games are starting to appear, posting them on the Daily Click will probably help. I intend to use whichever is best for me, and because I have a lame machine, right now that's MMF.

But I have no illusions about CT. I use MMF because I have to, not because I want to. I want a decent programming environment, and once I've got a PC that supports Construct, it'll be Construct all the way, baby!

• Heh... Construct seems interesting so far, only downloaded it a couple of days ago...

Dines...

"I use MMF because I have to, not because I want to. I want a decent programming environment, and once I've got a PC that supports Construct, it'll be Construct all the way, baby!"

But you can't even make a simple platformer in MMF? I don't understand where you're coming from to say MMF is bad, yet I just downloaded a game you made in which is like something I made when I first downloaded game maker? :/

• Soz, I don't quite follow that post, lol.

If you want a list of the things I don't like about MMF, I'll PM it you tomorrow, because this forum obviously isn't about slating MMF.

But the gist of it is: MMF isn't modular. Get halfway through the project and try fixing a bug, or changing a bad guy's animation or behaviour, and you'll see what I mean. I never wanna paste another damn group or animation again.

Contrast it with common programming languages like PHP, and you start to wonder why Include or Function or For/For Each/While/Else are so sparsely implemented (if at all) - after ten years.

It could be so much better for just the addition of some really obvious features!

• But you can't even make a simple platformer in MMF? I don't understand where you're coming from to say MMF is bad, yet I just downloaded a game you made in which is like something I made when I first downloaded game maker? :/

Hey now, I just tried Geronimo and it's a pretty damn decent start. Good pixel work, good animations, decent control. The sky needs work, and the enemies need AI and collision, but it's well on it's way to becoming a good platformer.

And I sincerely doubt the first thing you ever made with Game Maker was anywhere near as good as this, considering that most people who have been using Game Maker for a while still haven't made anything as good as this.

• "MMF2 has extensions, but Construct supports them too! So it's up to the community to create whatever they need, a pixel physics? Other stuff? All possible with plugins."

I'd Love to learn how to make some plugins for Construct and TGF 1 (I don't have MMF or MMF2).

But, I don't even know the simple things that should be known for any interface yet, you know, stuff like .ini files, arrays, grid movements, and online scoreboards. Simple stuff to most, but I have yet to learn them and a few other things. I've only made 3 games so far, and 1 of them was just to say I had actually made a game. Don't get me wrong, I've made a few good movement engines and such, but other than 3 games and a few movements in TGF, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to coding. My main problem is that I tend to get bored/distracted too easily when trying to learn the more dull and boring aspects.

It would be nice to see some extension creation videos for Construct and even MMF/TGF.

I like Construct, but I'm not so sure how good of a game I'll be able to make using Construct until it becomes a bit more Stable. I have nearly mastered TGF 1, without using any extensions I can make virtually any 2d game I want to, except a pinball game, because I'm confused about how to get the ball to bounce right (hard to explain). Oh yea, if anyone gets that Bug in Construct when you X close out of the program, note that you can go under File, then click on Exit to avoid the Bug.

Thanks for Reading !

• Nearly mastered TGF1, eh? XD

• I wonder why you want to rush this.

It will grow a natural way, free products dont need settle marketing, there marketing lays in its quality.

And on that point Construct starts to score well. !starts! Yes sir, it is not out off beta yet.

As long as Construct is in beta, the games made with it are beta too.

At this moment the few games, and the big amount of produced caps, serve 3 targets.

1 (very important) To have just fun creating things. And Construct is fun !

2 You teach me, and i hope i teach you how to use construct. And the knowledge gatherd by this will be the base for docs.

3 To guide Ashley in finding and solving bugs. To guide Ashley in bringing new things into construct. And all this from out the point of a "constructor" not from out the point of "the programmer" that Ashley is.

It is actual very interesting to see how "creative" people try to go along with construct.

I think thats where Construct stands now, stable, firm and promissing.

Expect more from either the program ,or from yourself, is at this point *dreaming*.

Wich is not a bad thing, if you realize that this is what it is.

So plz, keep gooing. Dont share games, but share .caps. Dont be so protective. Dont be shy about your caps too. Trow them in. I learned more from inperfect caps then from perfect caps.

• I think Construct has more promise than GM and MMF. Technically I think it has a better architecture than the other two, Ashley is amazing, and it's open source so it has a good chance of taking off as it grows (personally I'm really amazed as how far it already is). But I think it really helps to have the perspective that TheInstance has. As long as Construct is in Beta then your games and your learning about Construct is in beta. It doesn't mean that if you are careful enough and work around any existing bugs and limitations you can't make a complete game, but I think you are better of at this point in Construct's life to focus on things like learning, experimenting, testing, and giving feedback.

• Hey, I'm a bit late to this discussion, but who says Construct isn't welcome at TDC? I'm an admin there and it's perfectly fine with me

But.. I'd have to admit that you'll get a bit victimized for using Construct there. It's like how the hot, shy foreign exchange guy at a new school will get bullied by all the other kids for attracting all the girls. Seems that most of them will be opposed to Construct out of jealousy. Overall, I think MMF's interface allows for faster semi-professional epic projects but Construct is great for light and quick projects... and will handle 5-condition events much more neatly than MMF.

Construct wins in the end for being free

• Hey muz! Nice to see you here!

I think construct would need it's own community just for that reason. It will allways be a battle between construct and mmf if they used the same site, and construct would be pushed out since everyone use klick products right now. Also, the site is called the daily KLICK, and i dont know who said it, but one of the admins said construct games was accepted, but should not be allowed to compete about GOTW.

There will be a construct community site, but ther's no need to rush it. These forums works fine right now.

• Another way of looking at this: Don't we need many more finished or playable games to justify having our own TDC anyway?

• would be nice to see this one day, but as others have said, a little premature at the moment

• It could be called the Contruction Yard

Haha... I dont see why Construct games cant go for game of the week? A game is a game no matter what its made in. Thats like saying your not allowed to win because the program you are using is not as hard as ours to get the same results. Doesn't make any sence to me.

Lets try and make a game worthy of GOTW and see what happens haha.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)