Purgatory - Horror Adventure Game Teaser Trailer and Steam Page

1 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Hey guys! Small milestone but my horror adventure game "Purgatory" is now ready to be wishlisted on Steam and also has a brand new Teaser Trailer!

Subscribe to Construct videos now

If you like what you see, consider wishlisting it now on Steam:

store.steampowered.com/app/1137480/Joel_Mayers_Purgatory

Thanks a lot! :)

• Ohh this looks interesting, I love following Construct creations on Steam. Will add it to my wishlist.

• Your game looks legit. I love seeing C3 games of a higher quality. Wishlisted :)

• Thanks for the kind words, guys!

• Really nice!

Can you share some insight into developing a point and click adventure in C3?

• Well, from my point of view, Construct offers a lot of great tools to develop a point and click game. The three main elements for these kind of games are:

• Inventory
    • Dialogue System
    • Navigation
    • Cutscene System

There are many tutorials about how to build an inventory system out there. It's quite intimidating at first but even i as a somewhat noob back when i started building my game (and i'm no programmer at all) managed to get the basics working within a week of prototyping. Start simple and the nice thing about building one by yourself is, that it might make you think about nice and exciting new ways of interacting with objects in the game world. The adventure genre needs a bit of innovation now and then ;)

I'm using the visual array editor for all my dialogue which makes it really easy to write scripts almost like a screenplay. You can also use different columns for different languages which makes localization much easier as well.

My game is a sidescroller but i think with the pathfinding behaviour etc. it should be pretty easy to set up a basic Point and Click navigation that also has depth. The most difficult part is probably if you want to have character scaling according to its position in a room but it's basically one algorithm that you would have to figure out and i'm sure you'd find help for that here in the forums or the Discord.

I built my own system where i can send characters around in a room and have them perform different actions once they reached their destinations. But now with the new MoveTo behaviour this would probably be even easier.

So all in all Construct is a very nice tool to make adventure games! The advantage over more "cookie-cutter" engines like AGS or the likes is in my opinion that, since you build everything from scratch, you question the decade old mechanics of adventure games a bit and maybe give them your own spin. Plus its super easy to include more Arcade style elements into your game, if you'd wish to do so.

As with any bigger project, just try to keep your code organized and you'll be fine. All in all, Construct enabled me to get as far as i did so i can't complain :)

Hope this helps.

• Really looks "pro". Awesome art, congrats! :)

• I think I've seen screenshots of that game on twitter.

Looks amazing!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This looks great! Can't wait to try this one out.

• Love the release date

• "DATA DE LANÇAMENTO:

When you least expect it"

This looks amazing! :O

• Thanks everyone for the kind words :D

I was interviewed on the Adventure Games Podcast about the project:

adventuregamespodcast.com/podcast/2019/12/13/episode-43-interview-with-joel-mayer

• That was a great interview. I didn't quite catch some of the indie adventure game influences you had, can you repeat some of them here (I'm not sure where they were in the interview.)

Your prank at the start was funny, I went back to look at the title of podcast I was listening to, thinking 'wtf'.

• Haha thanks :D Yeah there are so many Adventure Game Podcasts out there already. I got confused myself though because Seoirse bought it, which i really didn't expect (the one i referenced to is a very popular one called "The Blue Cup Tools Podcast") :D

I don't quite remember which Indie Games i mentioned but i think there was stuff like Home by Benjamin Rivers, Dark Fall by Jonathan Boakes, Distraint by Jesse Makkonen.

Definitely can see some Clock Tower influence as well (old SNES game by Human Entertainment) and i like FAITH by Airdorf too :)

Hope that helps!

• Nice I always like this kind of game.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)