Point and click Adventure engine

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Connect the dots in the correct order and draw happy animals!
  • Hi guys! I'm at work for a sort of point-and-click-adventure engine, with various features like: inventory, object-combination logic, walk-to-point-system with dynamic Z-order and full-degrees-per-animation control, dialogue system etc. etc...

A little demo:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... dv01-27084

I'm searching for: graphics designer, animators, writers, and all want to collaborate!

Ciao from italy!

• Looks cool, some good features in there. I am also working on a P&C / VN, so will follow your progress and comment/help if I can.

One quick comment, the dialogue 'scrolling' in from the right feels a bit wrong. It might be better to have it come in from the left, but indented to indicate which speaker is talking.

My devlog for my P&C / VN is below in my signature.

• Hi Mikal! Thanks for the feedback! I'm just trying things, tweaking with the options, and try to have a system capable to manage all the parts of a point-and-click-based game (movements, dialogue-system, inventory, mechanics etc...)

I'm working with the graphic to understand what is the most convenient way to do it: stylized artworks and cartoon-style design are less expensive in terms of time and work (i've some skills in drawing and art, but i'm NOT a visual artist tout-court and my experience with things like digital painting or post-processing is very basically), but this involve and affect the entire creative process, for example writing a subject that give some sense to a stylized-style art and graphic. All you can see in the demo is at a very early prototype stage, i have to define the UI, the general mood, and the displaying of the dialogues too. If you want to collaborate, i'm open to any creative input!

PS: i've looked at your project. Rabbits are cool, i've loved "La collina dei Conigli" (the italian for Watership Down), the narrative concept is very interesting. But i've some doubts about the platform-view: in this way, i think, there are some difficulties to exploit the entire screen space if you don't find a way (and a pretest) to fill them with platform, stairs and similar things. I remember some classic narrative games like Another World, that make a great use of the side-scroll/platform type of view, but the mechanics are involved too with this (gun-shoots, barriers, character's run, jump etc, etc....).... Your work is great, technically very well done (animations, effects, mechanics integration...), i'm curious to see the next!

Hello from italy!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • But i've some doubts about the platform-view: in this way, i think, there are some difficulties to exploit the entire screen space if you don't find a way (and a pretest) to fill them with platform, stairs and similar things. I remember some classic narrative games like Another World, that make a great use of the side-scroll/platform type of view, but the mechanics are involved too with this (gun-shoots, barriers, character's run, jump etc, etc....)....

Hello from italy!

I basically agree with you here and I'm thinking about adding 'z' to the design, the one thing that is holding me back is that my inspiration for this game in terms of mechanics is basically a side-scroller, even if the art is so good it does not seem like it. I am also thinking more of a Visual Novel / P&C hybrid, where there is no 'pixel hunt' to find objects on the screen. Here's the game that inspired me: Tokyo Dark It was made in C2 (they also wrote a blog )

For one cutscene, I do want to move to a 'timed event' platformer style where you race through a burning forest with a few narrative choices along the way (e.g. which rabbits do you save / risk as you run.) This drives me to have the side-scroller mode available at least.

I will watch your development and send in comments. It looks like you have a lot of mechanics working which is great. My current biggest challenge is actually now on the story side and planning side, I want to go down that side a bit further so that the narrative and plans will drive my tech / features, rather than the other way around.

If you get your engine polished and it's all your own work, you might also think about selling it as a template too (I am already using a couple paid templates in my game, so I won't be doing that.) That might be another way to get 'collaborators.'

In terms of collaborators, are you on the discord construct channel, you may be able to find folks there, or you could start a blog on Tigsource, which gets a lot of indie attention (I need to do that also!)

• Hi Mikal!

i know Tokio Dark, it's a really well-made project, a success and a great example of that you can obtain from C2... but personally i've don't liked it, i don't like the manga-style so much, and i feel the gameplay like an "expanded visual novel" more than a real, solid game experience. Have you played "Thimbleweed Park"? It's my idea of great game design: like the early monkey island (and the more-early maniac mansion and zakmcracken) game, the amount of interactive areas, objects and npcs, merged with a solid narrative structure, make the feel of freedom for the player, that make this games greats! And i think that this aspect is a little mess in games like TD (or the recent telltale games).

Your game seem to have a lot of different choices in terms of game-mechanics, my advice is to take care about the calibration between them.

PS: Thanks for the TIG tip! Seems great!

PPS: my "engine" is a very little thing, about 30 events in total... i don't see any difficulties in making a point-and-click game with Construct, all the "complicated" things are already made (pathfinding, animation-swapping etc...) and you can build anything you want in terms of gameplay, advanced QTE, different control system like platform etc... (that is impossible whit some adventure-oriented game engines like Visionaire Studio or AGS)... maybe i can share my tech with a free tutorial in the future!

Hello!

• Hi Mikal!

i know Tokio Dark, it's a really well-made project, a success and a great example of that you can obtain from C2... but personally i've don't liked it, i don't like the manga-style so much, and i feel the gameplay like an "expanded visual novel" more than a real, solid game experience. Have you played "Thimbleweed Park"? It's my idea of great game design: like the early monkey island (and the more-early maniac mansion and zakmcracken) game, the amount of interactive areas, objects and npcs, merged with a solid narrative structure, make the feel of freedom for the player, that make this games greats! And i think that this aspect is a little mess in games like TD (or the recent telltale games).

Your game seem to have a lot of different choices in terms of game-mechanics, my advice is to take care about the calibration between them.

Yes, I have played Thimbleweed Park and have really enjoyed it (though I have not played all the way through it yet), I also happen to like the Visual Novel style of game and the TD style of game, in general, I enjoy the narrative genre in its many forms (interactive novels, visual novel, P&C, 'walking simulators' like Life is Strange, Firewatch and AAA like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4.)

Good comments and cautions on watching out for 'making a mess' and calibrating game mechanics, this is why I need to make a short 'Chapter 0' demo, so I can see how it all feels to me and players.

That would be great if you did a free tutorial, I know a lot of people (including myself) would appreciate it.

• Hi!

Some update:

• I've inserted a new character whit front, back and side movements and idle poses
    • zoomable areas: you can control the zoom of the the screen whit the mouse-wheel
    • dynamic scaling for prospective
    • animation for the door

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure ... dv01-27460

I'm almost done whit the basic engine, now I've to write a detailed storyboard and the puzzles....

stay tuned !

• Looks cool man

But i got a lot of friends in the Adventure Game Dev Community and i sing my praises on C3 all the time

In any case, keep it up, looks cool!

• Thanks!

I'm currently developing for a text-adventure contest, and I'm busy until the end of this month, but I'm still developing the point-and click system... stay tuned for further updates!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)