My combo projects (no plugins, old mode7 fx, 3D displacement map in DrawingCanvas, and more)

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Combo
$10 USD
Button Combinations like in fightings, supports both keyboard and gamepads
  • Hey Constructors!

Rufus here from No Joy Boys

I decided to upload some raw videos from the project I'm working on with my friend Bartosz.

All technics from them will be implemented in our HUM game.

HUM is basically 2d but it will have mini levels with pseudo 3D tricks. I hope all of this projects will be available in the store when we will finish the HUM game(like solo and mega pack).

Here we go:

HUM (chase level, not available now in the demo on itch.io)

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Details:

This is using z elevation feature and drawing canvas snapshot for reading curves and hills values for each slice of the road. 3 quality modes (works very good on mobile)

3D displacement using drawing canvas and image as a height map prototype (inspiration from Rescue on Fractalus! - Atari game from 1984)

Details:

Drawing Canvas makes a snapshot of the red sprite map on the start(can be also generated by perlin noise for smth like no man sky ;)) , then Array is filed with red values that are used later for height points. Each( X and Y) point is a image point in player frustrum view(this is just a triangle sprite with bunch of image points), then those point picks the array and then projection from 2D to 3D is happening. Then drawing canvas takes computed polygon point and repeats nested loop 19 times per tick. Before it draws it checks if sprite is futher away if not then it will paste it on top of polygon. Still need some work because is glitchy :) but I like it.

update(no more geometry glitches).

Wireframe time and triangle polygons in Drawing canvas :)

BRUTAL fast RAY CAST prototype (Ray Casting pseudo 3d with decals and reflections on the floor and walls)

Details:

Shader: old mode7 fx by R0J0hound on the Drawing Canvas who takes snaphot of the tilemap for the floor and later it takes realtime decals. For walls decals is a fast dictionary check (replace wall slice after ray hit). I think it's the fastest ray cating LOS event logic in scirra community ;) , rays checks only for walls collisions in the camera frustum, no fish eye, pixel perfect mode7 fit with the floor and bunch of tricks to make it more speedy) I saw some projects on this task and I think this one will become the winner in performance and features like decals, reflections and tilemap editor ;)

Cellular Automata painter prototype

my favorite part is in 9:50s

Details:

This one use simple rules for each dot. Dot(1 pixel sprite) checks for neighbours in the array and then it execute the action. Each point can have max 8 checks around himself. When it hit the ground it is going to sleep then drawing canvas grabs it and destroys the sprite filling array with 1 on dead point position. It can be slow when u need to wakeup a lot of points but is very fast for a game like liero or worms but not Noita tech:) I think in java this can be very fast,R0J0hound did smth like this in custom js script.

cheers

• Impressive video. This is looking real good for a start. Interested to see what this will fully look like when finished.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What a cool bunch of different graphics effects. The bobing and tilting are nice touches that make the motion cooler.

Nice use of pixel data too. No need to process more than you need to and it seems to make it more interesting when you can draw the curves instead of relying on stiff math curves. Anyways, looking forward to seeing more. The pixel examples I made work differently but could benefit from canvas use if I used C3.

• Nice work, nice to see these type of work w/o plugins (and just some effects). Keep up the good work, looking forward to the game when it releases, the demo looked good.

• The HUM prototype is awesome. Very smooth. I really need to find some time to work around with Z elevation too :P. In the 'Doom like game' I noticed some lag but looking great too. Are these only concepts or are you going to continue the development?

• Glad you like it guys.

I going to continue the development and later like I mentioned I would like to sell those projects in the scirra store after we finish the HUM game. I will post a playable versions of the concepts above soon.

Cheers

• small update(no more geometry glitches).

Wireframe time and triangle polygons in Drawing canvas :)

• What a cool bunch of different graphics effects. The bobing and tilting are nice touches that make the motion cooler.

Nice use of pixel data too. No need to process more than you need to and it seems to make it more interesting when you can draw the curves instead of relying on stiff math curves. Anyways, looking forward to seeing more. The pixel examples I made work differently but could benefit from canvas use if I used C3.

Thank you R0J0hound

Exacly, I tried making it with math curves folowing extentofthejam paper but I stuck on it and then I realized that I can use simple reading pixels on a 1 pixel h 255 w slide gradient and repeat it infinitly horizontal in logic paterns. Every time turns and hills are random because I was to lazy to draw in tile map editor so many slices :) So was way faster to make a rule for it in the events sheet.

here is the tilemap slice:

left,right - blue

up,down - red

rest: road textures etc

• I saw some projects on this task and I think this one will become the winner in performance and features like decals, reflections and tilemap editor ;)

Challenge accepted.

• Looks Boss

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)