Bio-Gun (Hand-drawn, Atmospheric, Metroidvania) In Development

1 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!
  • Hi everyone! Today I am excited to present to everyone in here my game, Bio-Gun! A metroidvania shooter made with Construct 3.

Currently, I have a BETA AVAILABLE on STEAM for Windows

• Mouse and Keyboard support
    • Gamepad support
    • Remappable keys/buttons for both configurations

Steam Page

Join our Community Discord

WHERE IT BEGAN

A few years ago (2016?) I made a survival shooter that is currently on Scirra Arcade. It was called: Bio-Gun Arcade Edition. It currently still holds a spot on the front page which amazes me to this day! I am honored that so many of you enjoyed it! A few years later (2019) I decided to pick the project back up and make it into a Metroidvania where you explore the insides of a Dog.

Figuring out what the design should look like was VERY difficult. For one, there isn't any reference on the internet of what things look like at a microscopic level. So I had to wing it and take a lot of creative liberty with the designs.

WOMB

LIVER

Ultimately, it took about a year to figure out and feel confident with the current asthetic of the game. During that year I also taught myself how to make a handdrawn world that functioned like a metroidvania. There are a lot of metroidvania examples that are pixel based for Construct, but I have yet to come across any that go beyond Pixel and are hand drawn so there weren't any tutorials I could find. This resulted in a long period of development spend on how to make an interconnected world.

Map

PLAYER MOVEMENT

Once I figured out how to connect rooms and store data from previous rooms (Persist Behavior) and Respawn Timers for enemies I instantly felt empowered! I soon after focused on the player movement. I believe I spent about 3 months on this alone. From adding polishing touches like Cyote Jump (grace period that allows you to jump after falling off a ledge) to Button Input Lag (pressing the jump button before landing still allows you to jump once you land), the controls felt VERY responsive! Adding a nice weight to the players Jump was also crucial as was giving players the ability to control the exact height they wanted jump! All of these things combined made for controls that felt responsive and solid.

NPC's

Next up I felt that the world needed to have memorable characters! Thankfully since the theme was Inside of the body, a lot of the designs of the characters were inspired by what cells do!

From white blood cells to Liver Cells, all of them naturally had a place inside of this world I was creating and their roles inspired their designs! Also being inside of a dog I felt that all of the characters should have a Dog look to them.

The game is still under development so I have plenty of other characters that I will need to design. Such as ones for the other Organs that the player will explore in the game.

THE BOSSES

This was a fun and challenging aspect of the games development. Bosses are VERY crucial to a metroidvania. It's where you test the player and reward them for understanding mechanics you taught them along the way to the boss. You can see glimps's of my bosses in the trailer. They had a specific design philosophy in mind when creating them. In Bio-Gun you start off with the ability to dash. I am not a patient person myself and I love speedy movement so I felt it best to begin with an ability most games give to the player later on. Since you start off with Dashing the first boss is designed to utilize dashing while still being relatively easy since its still early on in the game. One of the phases forces you to dash to keep up with the boss in order to deal damage to it.

This game design philosophy is enforced with the next two bosses. So lets review:

• Boss 1: Focuses on teaching Dash.
    • Boss 2: Focuses on teaching Aiming while enforcing Dash.
    • Boss 3: Focuses on teaching Jumping while enforcing Dash, Aiming.

After that the player has been taught the Fundamental abilities and we let your hand go and throw enemies and bosses that will push variations of all those 3 systems + the newer abilities they get later on.

Bio-Gun is being developed by two people, myself and a friend. We've got about a year or so left of development. We can't wait to show everyone more stuff as we continue our journey. It is my hope that this post inspires those who want to make metroidvanias using Construct and also to show its totally possible!

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Bio-Guns Beta is public so if you get a chance to play it please feel free to give us feedback in our Discord or down below. I am on Discord often so I'll catch the feedback faster there. Thank you for reading!

• This is looking really nice, I've wishlisted and look forward to following your progress

• Thank you! If you get to try the beta I would love to know your thoughts! Right now is the best time to take in feedback and apply it to the game before Finalizing everything. :)

• I'll take a look tonight

• This looks sick! I love the art style, story sounds really unique, and the gameplay looks like a ton of fun :) My library in Steam is loaded with metroidvania games. They are my favorite to play.

I've got one in the works. It's going to take ages to design/develop. If I'm even talented enough to pull it off. For now, it's simple mobile games, freelancing, and training courses, for income, while I work on that project in the background.

If you don't mind me asking. Did you guys run any crowd funding campaigns or anything to get funding to develop this?

I'm keeping an eye on this one, for sure :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks brainwavecreations! Metroidvania indeed take a very long time to make. This February will be 2 years and I've got the primary systems completed and about 15% of the game done! I am sure you're talented enough. If you are a one man team keep it simple. Single color silhouette backgrounds and a simple main character design. When I started Bio-Gun I was alone and I knew making a complicated main character would be very difficult and time consuming with all the animations. Thats why my main character doesn't even have arms and the gun simply rotates to the angle you fire at! You can do it! Just think of clever work arounds. :)

We have not done any crowdfunding. I worked on Bio-Gun for about a solid year and got it to a point where I could show it to investors and one believed in my project enough to financially support me and my friend.

• looks great! the game has tons of juice, charm, great colors and while it doesn't look too different for gameplay, it seems like there is a decent backstory narrative with hand made levels. I think handmade level games will always have a place for people since they go through them like books.

good luck! I'm releasing next year as well, having lots of trouble with visibility and I'm working solo. I don't have the flashiest game to show and I'm pretty bad at marketing, its so difficult to juggle it all!

• Thanks brainwavecreations! Metroidvania indeed take a very long time to make. This February will be 2 years and I've got the primary systems completed and about 15% of the game done! I am sure you're talented enough. If you are a one man team keep it simple. Single color silhouette backgrounds and a simple main character design. When I started Bio-Gun I was alone and I knew making a complicated main character would be very difficult and time consuming with all the animations. Thats why my main character doesn't even have arms and the gun simply rotates to the angle you fire at! You can do it! Just think of clever work arounds. :)

We have not done any crowdfunding. I worked on Bio-Gun for about a solid year and got it to a point where I could show it to investors and one believed in my project enough to financially support me and my friend.

You are welcome! This looks like it's going to be a gem :). That is such an awesome story! Thanks so much for the encouragement, advice, and sharing your experience with this project. That means a lot to me :)

Yeah, I just work solo for now. Bootstrapping off of limited savings at the moment. I'm wearing many different hats, as they say. I'm sure you are familiar with that feeling. So many different projects, between games, websites, building up a following on YouTube, and my community. Then game dev training courses I'm planning out now, to start recording soon. All of that should add up to a decent audience in the long run.

Good luck with the rest of the development. I cannot wait to check this one out. It's been added to my list, since I saw this post last night. Keep up the great work!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)