Is there a translated spritefont

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Forget about default textbox restrictions, you can create sprites atop of the textbox
  • with like not just latin characters

• What do you mean? Just in case you are not aware, you can just design the SpriteFont in latin characters.

• What I mean is, I made a really cool spritefont but I only know latin characters, so if a person who dosen't use the latin alphabet like russian or korean, no characters will show up when they try to enter a name for their character and that kinda sucks you know ?

• What I mean is, I made a really cool spritefont but I only know latin characters, so if a person who dosen't use the latin alphabet like russian or korean, no characters will show up when they try to enter a name for their character and that kinda sucks you know ?

Well. I do definitely think that the current situation is for the best. Because there is no way to find out the direct translation of a different writing system to the roman/latin alphabet.

https://i.imgur.com/fjeFSYO.png[/img]

https://i.imgur.com/fjeFSYO.png

For example, Chinese & Japanese:

Chinese have these 1 character per meaning/word. So there would be no a,b,c,d,e,f,g... and etc. on the Chinese Written Language. There would be 火 for fire.

Japanese in the other hand is more complicated, there are 3 written scripts called Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. And Fire has 3 different versions of writing :

1) Hiragana has the alphabet style like the roman/latin characters. Used for Japanese words.

Like A = あ,I = い、E = え and etc.

So fire would be : かさい

But it could also be in this form :

2) Katakana has the alphabet style like the roman/latin characters. Used for borrowed Foreign words.

Like A = ア、I = イ、E = エ and etc.

So fire would be : ファイア

But with words it can either be Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji.

3)Kanji is like the Chinese Characters, 1 character per meaning/word.

Like the 'Moon' = 「月」。

So fire would be : 火

In conclusion, there is no assurance for a direct written translation from the roman/latin alphabet to other written languages, so this is a matter of fact by design and should even be helpful for localization.

• When I use a webfont of Kanji,or the chinese character.

Its Byte is 1650 times that of the roman/latin alphabet (spritefont).

This is terrible.

• When I use a webfont of Kanji,or the chinese character.

Its Byte is 1650 times that of the roman/latin alphabet (spritefont).

This is terrible.

You are talking about WebFonts. A different thing.

In Spritefonts, only include the characters found in your game dialogues.

Because there are thousands of Kanji and Chinese Characters that would bloat your game so fast that it won't even be practical. And the images won't even work since it would be bigger than the maximum image size.

Terrible is a bit of an exaggeration since most of the pioneer/classic digital games were made in Japanese.

And their games were just KBs or 1 to 2 MBs in size. And those are big Nintendo RPG Games.

So, it is really very possible to make light, just needs some learning.

• I mean the program is creating a image(spritefont) of all Kanji used in games.

Select the Kanji that appear in each text.

But the players can't enter their name in Kanji.

Only Hiragana and Katakana can be used.

If used the webfont it would show how difficult to make it(maybe over 100mb).

I think it is a limitation of East Asian languages.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I manually added some letters to a spritefont I used in a game, but just like ten letters. drawn them myself.

But yes, I would also need someone to add letters from greek, russian, vietnamese, thai etc.

Now all those players just get blank names..... :(

• Like Chadori said, a spritefont only uses characters you've assigned to it. If you want full support for all characters you're better off using webfont that supports these characters.

The same would happen in any game engine or game for that matter. When old games were localized the devs removed Japanese characters to make way for English ones.

The game I have on Steam supports tons of languages, so I had to add each character used in these languages to the spritefont. In my case I even support the Chinese language. To do that I asked the translator to send me every character used along with the translated dialogue, so instead of adding all possible characters to the spritefont, I only used those that I knew were necessary - still it was a LOT.

imgur.com/a/LuzMxSS

But for name input, there's no way out I think. Your best bet would either using webfonts, or making a keyboard in your game that showed the available letters that the player can use.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)