JavaScript for Making Plugins - Where do I start?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • I am an absolute beginner and while I know how to use Constuct, I want to learn JavaScript so that I get more flexibility with my work. I just wanted to know where I should start from, how do I learn the stuff that helps me with creating games and plugins for Construct.

• Anyone?

• *moved from C3 HDI to more appropriate SDK section.

Please don't bump your own post after less than 2 hours.

Those users that are capable of helping come from many different time zones, so please allow time for someone to respond.

It is generally accepted that you can 'bump' your own thread after 24 hours if no answer has been forthcoming.

Regarding learning Javascript, Google is probably more appropriate. There are literally thousands of sites teaching Javascript online. Learning Javascript is not particularly difficult - becoming proficient is another matter.

Having said that, the users who frequent this section could offer some more direct guidance.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am an absolute beginner and while I know how to use Constuct, I want to learn JavaScript so that I get more flexibility with my work. I just wanted to know where I should start from, how do I learn the stuff that helps me with creating games and plugins for Construct.

Do you have any programming background in languages other than JavaScript? If so, then I would recommend going to a site like to learn the syntax. If not, then jumping straight into C3 plugin programming is a really difficult place to start learning programming in general. Not impossible, but it will take several thousand hours (a few years of several hours each day) before you become truly proficient.

• I started a year ago by referencing w3schools and doing many of the lessons in Free Code Camp. Once you've got the basics, I suggest you then move on to editing some of the standard plugins (copies of) to see how they are structured and how the c2runtime works with them. Google Chrome + F12 will become your friend. Also follow the steps in Developer Mode for previewing. Never give up and join the Discord sdk channel. Good luck!

• I started a year ago by referencing w3schools and doing many of the lessons in Free Code Camp. Once you've got the basics, I suggest you then move on to editing some of the standard plugins (copies of) to see how they are structured and how the c2runtime works with them. Google Chrome + F12 will become your friend. Also follow the steps in Developer Mode for previewing. Never give up and join the Discord sdk channel. Good luck!

> I am an absolute beginner and while I know how to use Constuct, I want to learn JavaScript so that I get more flexibility with my work. I just wanted to know where I should start from, how do I learn the stuff that helps me with creating games and plugins for Construct.

>

Do you have any programming background in languages other than JavaScript? If so, then I would recommend going to a site like http://www.w3schools.com to learn the syntax. If not, then jumping straight into C3 plugin programming is a really difficult place to start learning programming in general. Not impossible, but it will take several thousand hours (a few years of several hours each day) before you become truly proficient.

Thanks for the responses guys, will definitely checkout the resources.

cjbruce I am a complete beginner with no programming bg, starting a few projects on Construct, and will stick to the event sheet for at least a year, and I will learn JavaScript side by side till I understand the basics, creating plugins is something that I want to do in the future.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)