Can I write to Project Files from within C3 game ?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • Ok, very excited and embarrassed to have (only just) recently learnt about Project Files ....

So I have a question I think I already know the answer to ... but before I go and make a ton of unnecessary changes to ma geme

Am I correct in thinking there is no way to write directly to a Project File from within a C3 game. ???

would be very handy for my in game editor

• you mean after export and publishing? no.

however, you can upload a capx file when you publish your game, which is essentially the editor file, so you or others can go in at a later point and update graphics or edit programming.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • after youve published a file, if youve saved it, you can edit it and update the file on record scirra, updating your game on the arcade, but im pretty sure once its exported and published its as is. ive had pcs crashed and asked if i could reclaim a game from a file and they pretty much said to just remake it.

• you mean after export and publishing? no.

however, you can upload a capx file when you publish your game, which is essentially the editor file, so you or others can go in at a later point and update graphics or edit programming....

...after youve published a file, if youve saved it, you can edit it and update the file on record scirra, updating your game on the arcade, but im pretty sure once its exported and published its as is. ive had pcs crashed and asked if i could reclaim a game from a file and they pretty much said to just remake it.

No no no no no no.... I think you misunderstand my friend.

Maybe I am not being clear.

When I say project file .... there are actually things within a C3 project file called project files ..... yes it is confusing

https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/manuals/construct-3/project-primitives/files

So to elaborate . Currently I have json array data (enemy patterns) generated by the editor part of the game.

Which I basically copy and paste back into my construct project so they can be used by the game part of the game

But... now, in C3 , I can actually store these arrays directly in the project as "separate" array files

I was wondering if I could also actually write to them directly from the running game. (which would be insane so I dont think possible)

its basically like a dog eating his own poo... (sort off .. well not really.. but im leaving this line in..)

ps. sorry to hear about your game.

backup, backup, backup, every time you make a couple of changes that work back da fu* up (in separate places hd/ssd+ flash + cloud)

another the cool thing about C3 is that the backups can run in the background while you work. With C2 every time it went into auto-save backup you had to wait 10 minutes while it did its thing. It always happened just as I woke up and started to do something which was going to be amazing.... by the time the backup had finished I had forgot what it was .. totally amazing games have been lost for ever because of that.....

• what if you set the array value to a variable, and then have in game triggers change the variable?

i dont use arrays, though i probably should learn a bit.

however, ill use a similar method in my games so that as you progress spawn times get faster, making the difficulty increase the further you progress.

• as for backups, i mean to, i just always forget. though its nice to be able to upload from c3 to dropbox and google drive, though its upsetting that google drive stopped hosting games; though i couldnt share drive links on facebook anyway so its w.e. just means i have to get my shit together and start making apks lol. but yes as far as arrays i believe you can write to them in game, as theyre often used to inventory setups, so constant changing values etc. im pretty sure thats what youre asking lol but i could be wrong

• what if you set the array value to a variable, and then have in game triggers change the variable?

i dont use arrays, though i probably should learn a bit.

however, ill use a similar method in my games so that as you progress spawn times get faster, making the difficulty increase the further you progress.

Actually das a good idea!. I won't use variables though I will use dictionary, sort of same thing. So I will load up the dictionary from the project files. I think I finally got a way fwd... Go go go....

• > what if you set the array value to a variable, and then have in game triggers change the variable?

> i dont use arrays, though i probably should learn a bit.

> however, ill use a similar method in my games so that as you progress spawn times get faster, making the difficulty increase the further you progress.

>

Actually das a good idea!. I won't use variables though I will use dictionary, sort of same thing. So I will load up the dictionary from the project files. I think I finally got a way fwd... Go go go....

dictionary would be using stock variables yes? such as CanvasSnapshot and Player.x etc?

or is it a seperate function?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)