Why do my sprites take more memory than they should?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • My current project is using many sprites and I just realised the estimated memory usage in my largest layout is very high (4.2 GB) and my computer has a hard time opening the preview.

From what i gathered around other posts, sprites should take up about 4 bytes of memory per pixel. Thus a 1920 x 1080 pixel image should have a memory impact of around 8 mb. However images I use have a much higher impact...

For example, I created a test laytout with only 1920 x 1080 pixel background image in and the image memory records 23.8mb memory use! A fully empty scene still takes 2.3mb so that would mean the image takes 21.5mb of memory, almost 3 times as much as it should.

Has anyone encountered this or could point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you right-click the project name in the Project Bar and select Tools - View spritesheets, you can see the images that Construct is really loading. Since everything is placed on spritesheets, it may be that a new image is added and it increases the spritesheet size by more than the image size. Usually Construct will pack a range of images on to spritesheets to reduce any waste, but you can also tweak the memory impact of it by adjusting the max spritesheet size in Project Properties.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)