Why did C3 force me to use the Beta version and now won't allow me to make an APK?

1 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Build a thrilling space station scenario with these level assets and characters.
  • A few days ago I opened my browser to use C3 and got some message about using r206, I just clicked Ok thinking 'If C3 wants me to update I'll update'.

Nothing warned me that it was the unstable Beta version. When you're using the unstable Beta version why isn't there a Giant Banner telling you so? Unless you look at your URL there is no way to know.

Now I can't make an apk or a bundle for Android.

I can't open the game in the current stable version C3 without getting an message telling me I must use r206 and if I open any other game it uses the unstable version automatically.

Why did I get a message prompting me to use r206?

Without recreating the entire game is there anyway to use the stable version of C3 or must I wait until r206 is stable?

When will r206 be stable?

Why isn't there a giant banner in the unstable version warning people they are using it?

• So you're saying there's a bug in r206 that stops you from exporting as APK? Then report it!

• Thank you for your reply.

Honestly, I have no idea if there's a bug. For all I know I'm doing something wrong because C3 possibly added a new feature and the documentation hasn't been updated, but when I posted that question I didn't get an answer. I just can't figure out how to stop it from happening.

I know I can create an APK and a bundle using the current stable version of the software, but because C3 opened as the unstable version and didn't inform me it was unstable, I now can't open my game in the stable version and I can't create an APK or bundle of my game. Which means I can't update Google play. It's so frustrating.

I have no idea why C3 opened that version. I couldn't tell you how to even get to that version.

I cannot be the only person this has happened to in the history of C3.

Do you know if there is any way of reverting my game back to the current version or am I stuck with it?

Actually 2 things, any idea how I ensure that C3 never randomly opens the unstable version? Maybe is there an unstable version blocker I need to enable in the settings? That would be keen.

Thanks again.

(And thanks for listening to my rant.)

• I still don't understand the panic unless there is a bug with the latest beta. They are not 'unstable', it's just a beta release, you should be able to export. In the settings if you set it to look for beta releases then it will try and update to them or you can set it to stable releases. As far as I know once you save in the beta then you can't revert it but that shouldn't be a problem.

• Mostly my panic is that there is a company that wants to include my learning apps in their program. My intent was to send them several apk demos this week. Unfortunately, like my Google Play game many of the learning apps were also opened and saved in r206 and I can't make them into apks either.

I would have never knowing used the Beta version. I don't know enough about the program to know if it's a bug or if I'm just misunderstanding what's supposed to happen. (I mean, you've seen my questions on the solid behavior lol )

Now I'm stuck waiting for r206 to become the stable version and a perspective paying customer on hold.

• There is usually no risk but if you're saying that there is a build problem in the latest beta then it's just a coincidence and you can enter a bug report. They are not here on weekends.

• dazedangels You can launch stable version using this direct link:

https://editor.construct.net/r204-2/

To open a project that you saved in r206 you need to unzip it (rename c3p extension to zip) and then edit .c3proj file, in the third line put:

"savedWithRelease": 20402,

Then zip all files, rename back to .c3p

• dop2000

Thank you for your reply.

I tried that just now and received this error: Failed to open project. Check it is a valid Construct 3 single-file (.c3p) project.

So I changed all the "version": "r206", to r204.2 - still no go.

Then I tried changing everything to version 20400 and r204 - and that didn't work.

Each time I deleted the old file and re-zipped it, once using Windows zip and the next using 7-Zip (using their .zip, not their .7z)

I tried it with 2 different games and each time get the same error. I feel like I'm close, but may be missing something that's obvious and right in front of me.

I'm going to take a break and try again later - see if it comes to me.

Thanks again.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just in case anyone ever has this issue again and can't convert from .zip to .c3p when attempting to fix the problem .... I figured out why the .c3p wouldn't work after I converted it from .zip, but can't put it into words that make sense so I put it into an image.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

• Just in case anyone ever has this issue again and can't convert from .zip to .c3p when attempting to fix the problem .... I figured out why the .c3p wouldn't work after I converted it from .zip, but can't put it into words that make sense so I put it into an image.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

One thing I would like to add here is If we use any third-part software (eg. 7Zip, WinRar) for zip then it won't work (at least for my side) but if we use windows native zip option (right-click and then send to zip) then it works. Weird but it's true. Maybe the third-party software further compressed it to a point where C3 won't recognize it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)