How do I get my web-based game to update when there is a new version?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • One of my few gripes about Construct 3 is that when I post a new version of my game (on the web) users don't get it right away. I think maybe it's loading the new version in the background and users will get it the next time they launch the game? (But if there's a serious bug I want to make sure that everyone is playing the fixed version. Is there a way to force that?)

On a related note, I'm making a Wordle-like game with a daily puzzle. Players can start a puzzle on Monday and any time they return on Monday they will automatically load their previous effort. But starting on Tuesday all players should get the NEW puzzle for that day. Right now they are getting the SAVED game from the previous day. When I refreshing the page it fixes the problem.

Here's my logic: (am I doing something wrong?)

ON GAME LAUNCH:

- Get localstorage key "my_date"

- If "my_date" matches the current date then LOAD the save state

AT VARIOUS POINTS DURING THE GAME:

- Save the current date to "my_date"

- SAVE the game state

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have the same problem with web browser not immediately updating to new code on the server. I think this is browser cashing and not solvable from the construct level but only from the users end. I tried using a different directory each update that that created more problems than it solved.

yours

winkr7

• The tutorial Offline games in Construct covers this. You can use the Browser object to detect update events and auto-update, and you can also look in the browser console to see what's going on as Construct logs update events there too.

FWIW Wordle isn't uploading new content every day - it's just one app with a database of words for all the future day's puzzles. So it can load new puzzles every day without needing to update or load any new content.

• Thanks for the reply, Ashley. Man, I continue to be super impressed with Construct 3. Congrats to you and the entire team!

<<FWIW Wordle isn't uploading new content every day>>

Yeah, my game is just one app, as well. I have an Excel file with a bunch of sequential dates, the daily puzzle, and some other text-based content that goes with each puzzle. I convert this to JSON and pull it into a C3 array. I have about six months worth of content and I'll add more as needed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)