Viewport and grid-size recommendations - Screen Resolution, Aspect Ratio

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Edit: After 6 months of using a 16x10 aspect ratio (1680x1050), I decided to move to 16x9 (1920x1080). With the former there were always bars on the right and left sides of the screen, and it seems like every Windows machine I've encountered uses a 16x9 display setting. My game is Windows-only, so ymmv...

Original post:

I'm building a desktop platformer that will support full-screen mode. My layouts will consist of a set of "floors". These are single platforms that run the length of the layout, with several platforms per layout (stacked on top of each other if that helps to visualize), and doors that transport the player to the other floors (platforms) on the layout. The player should only see the backgrounds/objects of the floor they are currently on.

I'm trying to determine the best viewport size and grid size to support this. From my research:

- 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 are both good vp sizes, but 1680 seems to be better supported

- binary grid sizes (e.g., 32/32) seem to be preferred, but that doesn't align with the viewport heights. I.e., 1050/32 = 16.4

- It seems pretty important to have my tileMap (platforms), tiledBackground (backgrounds), and viewportSize all align. That way I can 'stack' my floors in the layout and not worry about part of another floor showing in the viewport. I can also achieve this with some padding above/below the 'floors', but I feel like I should avoid this.

Any best practices for what I'm looking to do, and what sizes I should be targeting?

Thanks

• Did you find the answer to your question?

I think (although not 100% sure), with your resolutions, only grid size 8 would divide perfectly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I went with 1680 x 1050 and a 32 grid size. It's not perfect but it works for positioning items in my game, and 8 grid size is too small to quickly position items with accuracy.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)