Urgent: How do I disable Chrome Speech Recognition Beep?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Customizable speech bubble dialogue system! With this dialogue system, you can finally have speech bubbles in your game!
  • Using the default speech recognition example, on Android, whenever I press "start", there's a beep.

I googled a lot and found it's from Chrome, and I can't disable it.

However, people in forums suggest "muting the Audiomanager" and then unmuting it.

I've seen this code suggested

AudioManager mAudioManager =(AudioManager)getSystemService(Context.AUDIO_SERVICE);
    mAudioManager.setStreamMute(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC, true);

Is there any way I can use this code from inside Construct 3?

Is there another way to mute android System sounds?

thank you!

• Ashley any ideas? Speech recognition is unusable in a game when it beeps constantly, and C3 is unable to do anything about it

• The browser plays the beep, probably as a browser usability and security measure to make it clear to the user speech recognition is active. It seems fairly short and inoffensive, why would you want to remove it? I suspect browser makers would consider removing it as a sign the web page is trying to silently steal your voice input, which would be a serious privacy violation. Anyway, Construct doesn't control that, the browser does, and the code provided is Java so is not applicable to Construct.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I would want to remove it as I made a voice activated system to give commands to my phone while in costume inside a huge suit of armor. The phone then proceeds to say pre-recorded catchphrases through a speaker. Beeping before and after a command is recognized ruins the experience completely.

Since we have no way of removing the beep, for the reasons you stated, I proceeded to make the voice activation whistle based, using the Peak Analyser. 2 whistles do one thing, 3 whistles do another and 4 whistles enables voice recognition, for situations where I don't mind a beep, so I can change modes.

Not ideal, but limitations force one to be resourceful. Thanks Ashley :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)