Turn Based rpg with multiple characters

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
A well commented RPG game template to learn from or use as a base for your own game!
  • Hello,

I ask for a little help or at least for some direction. I'm trying to make a small turn-based system (rpg) but with 3 players (maybe more) against 3 enemies.

I have successfully followed the tutorial for the turn-based system itself but since trying to add more players or enemies the turn always ends at player 1 switching to enemies 1 then it starts again. I'm just starting to use construct so please be forgiving ^^

• Add a global variable that represents character's turn. Give characters a variable that represents their position in a queue. Allow action only when character's variable matches the global one, add 1 to global var after each turn and set it back to zero when the last character makes a move. If an enemey and a character are different objects, then you may want to unite them under one family and assign their position variable to this family instead(a good practice btw. Helps a lot with picking objects of the same kind)

• Ok helps me a lot ,I' forgot one important steps ^^

I will try this way !^^

thanks !

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Wait a minute ,I Have to put enemies and players in the same family?

• NP! Yes, you can add them to one family which will exist purely for counting turns. Don't worry, it won't restrict your architecture. It's still possible to add them to other families. It's probably possible to do it the other way, but having them in one family seems easy enough

• Ok because I was thinking at something more "classic" like one familly of enemies and one family of players,so when players have played their turn its enemy turn.

The only problem I'm facing now is the active player make is turn then is player 2(after picking what action I want him to do) etc when I was thinking at an old school system like choosing all action of players and only then the turn execute.

• You can still add all the players in another family and adress it to identify who's party is acting, adding another variable that represents the team is also a good idea. Alternatively you can make players into animations of one single object. They would differ by their individual variable settings. I believe if you can represent a difference between players with a variable rather than creation of an object class then it's going to be better and more flexible system

• I see =) thanks you a lot for your help ;)

• No problem

• You can still add all the players in another family and adress it to identify who's party is acting, adding another variable that represents the team is also a good idea. Alternatively you can make players into animations of one single object. They would differ by their individual variable settings. I believe if you can represent a difference between players with a variable rather than creation of an object class then it's going to be better and more flexible system

I'm trying to create a game inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, where the player can control several totally different characters, with different skills.

Wouldn't this system you mentioned using the same sprite with different animations for the other characters be a problem when individualizing each one?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)