How to trigger an event based on the travelled distance of an object

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hi Guys,

I'm making and endless falling game and i'd like to trigger an event each time an object has traveled X distance. For example I'd like to trigger and event when the object has fell a distance of 1000. So an event is triggered when the object reaches the Y coordinate of 1000,2000,3000 etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

• You add a variable "yLimit = 1000". And then, every time that the object.Y is greater than yLimit, you add yLimit to itself and trigger the event that you want.

I made a little example, it' in my Drive:

drive.google.com/file/d/1DrZbXNXvIXdRJwF_-OqsgrUXO5u3IWfe/view

Hope it helps,

Isaac

• Use behavior Bullet on you object then set an instance variable "example_A" to 1

bullet distance traveled = 1000 * "example_A"

event action + add to example_A + 1

This uses distance traveled rather than coordinate to trigger.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • sinfulj's example is close to a good solution.

It has a few pitfalls though.

You will want to make sure you are in a 1000 pixels range of your next "iteration".

So have your instance variable "fallDist" which will be equal to 0, 1, and so on. Its default value should be 0 though.

Then your condition should be :

Bullet distance travelled >= [(greater or equal)] to 1000 * (fallDist+1)

And as action, you do indeed add 1 to fallDist and any other of the actions you want to happen on a regular basis every 1000 pixels.

• Thanks guys for the suggestion I'll try them out and let you know if I was able to acheive the result I'm looking for. Although I should have told you that I'm using the Physics behavior and not the bullet behavior.

• I was assuming the bullet behavior was already enabled.

If distFall=0 at the start when it hits 1000px it will stay 1000.

Anyways I've only been coding for bouts 2 months. Sorry I i got it wrong

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)