How do I make text rendering crispier?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • Hi folks, is there any procedures to make text objects looks crispier? For instance, in the image below I placed sprite font objects in the right side to compare with the text ones and the difference is huge...

I thought of using regular text objects since I want to translate my project to other languages in the future, but if there's no other way than having it this blurry, than it seems I have no choice than using sprite fonts, is that right?

thanks in advance.

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In your project properties, do you have your 'fullscreen quality' set to high? I've seen low cause this issue with text before. Elsewise it may be an error in the font itself.

• In your project properties, do you have your 'fullscreen quality' set to high? I've seen low cause this issue with text before. Elsewise it may be an error in the font itself.

Setting it to High slightly improves it, but result isn't good yet. I'm not sure if this is a browser issue and there's nothing to do about it, or there's a workaround....

• It is not possible to turn off antialiasing for text :(

• I think I read somewhere that you can't turn off font smoothing for text objects. Is there a reason you can't use the spritefont?

• I think I read somewhere that you can't turn off font smoothing for text objects. Is there a reason you can't use the spritefont?

I could use it. However I have the intention of translating the game to other languages in the future (russian, mandarin etc) and it would make things more complicated.

My last shot will be applying some sharpness to the text object and see the results, if it doesn't work I guess I'll use sprite fonts.

• If that's no good I guess it's a choice of using the spritefont or switching to a less blocky font that will render more clearly. Good luck

• > I think I read somewhere that you can't turn off font smoothing for text objects. Is there a reason you can't use the spritefont?

I could use it. However I have the intention of translating the game to other languages in the future (russian, mandarin etc) and it would make things more complicated.

My last shot will be applying some sharpness to the text object and see the results, if it doesn't work I guess I'll use sprite fonts.

Just wanted to chime in as a Chinese user and say the lack of spritefonts is pretty much a given for a non-alphabet based language, and non anti-aliased Chinese characters to be blunt are quite ugly. The only real reason to use them would be if you make your text really itty bitty, which is probably a bad idea to begin with.

From a usability standpoint, you're probably overthinking it. If you don't put aliased and anti-aliased text directly next to each other for an end user to see the difference, the average person won't notice at all, unless it makes it hard to read (in which case you could simply make it larger). Brains are wired to smooth things over by default. Even then, either way it is decidedly not going to change the impression of how fun your game is to play.

Also some general advice for international support, whenever possible you should focus on avoiding text completely by designing around symbols that can be universally understood to begin with. Bad translations/localizations are the source of much derision and amusement among my friends in the games we play at least. Of course this won't work if your game relies heavily on text, but just leaving this here for discussion anyway.

• Thanks for the advice, friend.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)