Is there a "SYSTEM" to track our published versions?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Simple and easily editable template for a dynamic camera that zooms in and out based on how far apart the players are.
  • Hey All,

Just to be clear I'm not talking about our Project Files which could be named anything on our backup Hard Drives...

I'm talking about the actual published Splash Screen or About > Version we usually see on any software and also available in C3's Project properties.

Since I'm new to developing I wonder about how it's done:

How do I "calculate" what number of version to update after every X changes?

Are there any common "rules" that are known between developers instead of just throwing numbers around?

For example:

For every X Bug Fixes + 0.001 to the current version number

For every X New Features + 0.1 to the current version number

etc..

I'm just curious if there is an actual known system of doing this correct or I just throw numbers which seems weird to me but may not be that important, it's pure curiosity but please feel free to share your knowledge. :)

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In general you update the version when there is a new 'release'. Some minor bug fixes you increment by .X so 1.1 and major features you could think about updating the version number so 2.0.

• In general you update the version when there is a new 'release'. Some minor bug fixes you increment by .X so 1.1 and major features you could think about updating the version number so 2.0.

Thanks plinkie, so it's similar to my example as I thought it's more like throwing numbers in a way :)

But it's good to know that I didn't miss some common or known system, I was curious about if there was anything organized like that or not.

• That might be an interesting feature request, but how would it update?

By save, or export, etc.?

• That might be an interesting feature request, but how would it update?

By save, or export, etc.?

OH! I never thought about it as a feature but... maybe it could be? not sure how as well.

I think it should stay something that we do manually but for now I think people still doing this manually by updating their X-Sheet with each Bug-Fix / New-Feature and somehow... throw a number tiny, or big based on the measure of the change.

I don't think people really care about this much, but I found this very interesting for some reason. :)

• Are people really too lazy to manually change a 1.0 to a 1.1 now?

• Are people really too lazy to manually change a 1.0 to a 1.1 now?

Not at all, the original thread is HOW it's done if there is a common known "system" that developers use to calculate the changes or rather just throwing numbers based on the size of the changes 0.001 / 0.1

• I understand the original question, I'm just referring to the idea of incrementing version number to be some kind of automated feature, that doesn't sound necessary to me.

• It's less about being lazy, than remembering some tiny thing along with all the other objectives.

• Use the system expression:

ProjectVersion

Return the version entered in to Project Properties. Note that this is always returned as a string, not a number.

So you can simply put a text object onto your main screen.

Then set text by expression:

Now update your project property - version by hand just how it makes sense to you (right below Project Name).

And it will update automatically ingame while testing or for actual releases.

Usualy 1.0 is considered a major release, so start below and set your personal goals.

Something like:

major.minor[.build[.revision]] = 1.2.12.102

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

• That's cool! it seems like THERE IS some kind of a "system" in this Software Versioning.

I still find this minor thing very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)