How do I make sure function X is done before calling function Y?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • title.

Thanks!

• If there are no "Waits" in function X, then the function Y will not start until function X is finished.

If there are waits or async actions in X, you can set it as Asynchronous and use: Call Function X -> Wait for previous action to complete -> Call Function Y.

• Function X:

Create 1000 objects

Function Y:

If object count is less than 1000. -Wait 1 second. -Call Function Y

Else Destroy all objects

By calling Function Y inside of Function Y it gives you a loop that you can easily control. You have to be careful though that you don't create an endless loop. You can check this by adding a global variable and each time Function Y runs it can add 1 to the variable. This allows you to check in debugger how many times Function Y runs. When you confirm Function Y is acting how it should then delete the global variable. dop2000's would be more efficient though, but I think it has to do with how the logic is set up. I never messed with asynchronous yet.

***edit***

The wait in Function Y was just to reduce how many times Function Y is called while waiting for Function X to complete. It isn't needed unless you just want a very small performance increase.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Unconnected If you are creating new objects in function X and want to access them in function Y, you don't need to wait the entire second and call the function recursively. Simple "Wait 0" will do:

Call Function X
    Wait 0
    Call Function Y

• dop2000

If that is the case then I am at a loss.

Function X creates objects. I want function Y to check if any of them overlap each other, if so, change position. Then repeat function Y until there's no more overlap. But nothing I try works.

Do you have any suggestion on how to achieve this?

• I will edit my post to be clear. The wait was to reduce how many times function Y was called while waiting for function X to finish.

• mutajon In this case I would do something like this:

Call Function CreateObjects
    Wait 0

While
     Object is overlapping Object 
     Loopindex<1000
    ..........Call Function RearrangeObjects

Note, "While" should be a sub-event below "Wait 0"

"Loopindex<1000" condition is recommended to prevent creating an infinite loop.

Also, see this example:

howtoconstructdemos.com/spawn-objects-randomly-without-overlapping-2-capx

• dop2000

Thanks a lot!

Will check this out.

• dop2000

Umm... How do I create the 'loopIndex<1000' part within construct?

Can't seem to find this condition..

Thanks again.

• Use "System Compare two values" condition.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)