Storing & using characters with their specs linked to it

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various soldier character sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game
  • Hey guys, didn't find a better description for the subject.

Maybe this is a easy question for Construct users who have experience with storing data

What I would like to do is the following:

I have 28 characters (names) and 12 possible 'specs' (words).

Each character has 4 of these possible 'specs'.

I would like to use these 2 data rows in both ways:

• getting every spec of a character
    • getting every character sharing the same spec.

How can I do this in the most efficient way?

I presume I have to use an array? What are the events look like for both functions?

If someone can put me on the right track with some advice, I could find the rest.

Thanks in advance!

• What are these characters and specs? If they are they just bits of text data, you can store them in an array or a dictionary.

With dictionary you can have the character as key name and put all specs into a comma separated string.

So you'll have:

Keyname="Character1", data="spec1,spec2,spec3,spec4"

Use "For each key" loop and expressions like find() and tokenat() to search for/parse specs.

Or you can make a 2D array, X axis will store character name, Y1-Y4 will store specs.

Use array events like "For each element" and "Compare current value"/"Compare at XY" to search for a character/spec.

--------------

In case these characters and specs are actual objects (like sprites), you can define an instance variable on the Spec sprite - "CharacterUID". This will allow to link characters with specs.

To pick specs for a character:

Spec compare instance variable -> CharacterUID=Character.UID

To pick character for a spec:

Character pick by Unique ID -> Spec.CharacterUID

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you so much for the 2 tips!

I was trying out the way with the array but using dicitionary seems more logic for this one!

(I didn't know we could use CSV in it)

• Both arrays and dictionaries have their pros and cons. What's to choose depends on your data and how are you going to use it.

There's actually a plugin that can help parsing CSV files or even convert them to arrays:

• Hey I've tried a lot but I can't seem to find a way to write a event using the array for this function:

The Array is orderd as following:

X = Name1, Name2, Name3

Y1= Spec1, Spec2, Spec 3

Y2 = Spec 4, Spec5, Spec6

Function:

Textobject1 chooses randomly one of the three name. (that's no problem afcourse)

In 2 instances of the same textobject2 I want to display the specs that are listed under the name that has been chosen and displayed in the first textobject1 (using a small loop for textobject2)

If there is a golden event tip for this one, it would save a headache!

• First, your array structure should be like this:

X0,Y0 =Name1 (this element can also be referred as X0)

X0,Y1 = Spec1

X0,Y2 = Spec2

X0,Y3 = Spec3

X1,Y0 =Name2 (this element can also be referred as X1)

X1,Y1 = Spec4

X1,Y2 = Spec5

X1,Y3 = Spec6

To pick random name use this code:

variable r=int(random(array.width))

Text1 set text to "Name: " & array.at(r)

To loop through all specs for this name:

For y=0 to (array.height-1) -> Text2 append text array.at(r, loopindex) & " "

• It worked!! wauw!

Thank you so much Stan.

In a couple of months, we're maybe going to need a man like you for bigger questions.

I've seen your post about working with you as a freelancer, since we've some money for a freelancer for our project, I'll keep in touch!

greetz and thank you

Lennert

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)