How do I start with a blank instance of an existing tilemap?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Fill in the Blanks. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • When dragging a Tilemap object from the project window into a new layout, it will often contain tiles from some other usage of it, and I will have to go and manually erase it. Is there a quick way to quickly erase this instance's tiles, or a way to create a new clean instance?

Right now I've just been using the rectangle tool with a blank tile to erase over what's there. I do this quite a bit and sometimes miss or forget to, especially since my layouts are quite large.

• Hey there ElleTrudgett

You should have a saved copy on your computer of your TileMap that you are using. Simply double click and add tilemap then drag your saved copy as the new tile map.

You can also prepare your construct before hand. If you are going to use the same tilemap for seperate Layouts or something you can clone the tilemap and name each one for the tilemap they will belong to.

• Thanks for the reply. I have no problem with the spritesheet.

I don't want different tilemaps, though, I want different instances of the same tilemap. Especially since I'm updating this tilemap pretty frequently, I don't want to have to reimport it into tilemap clones each time.

Here's what I mean. I have my tilemap already made:

When I drag it into a new level

It comes with tiles already on it from a different level that I have to erase.

• Great question! I'd love to know if there is (or could be) a quick erase feature or something for tilemaps.

What I've been doing isn't great, but in case it helps: after creating the tilemap full of unwanted tiles, I select all the tiles in the tilemap window (the place where you pick tiles to draw) so there's a big selection of tiles, like 10x10 or more. Selecting the eraser in the tilemap window turns that selection into really big eraser, so you can quickly erase huge areas of the tilemap object at once, and clear it out quickly.

Not perfect by any means (and likely quite obvious), but it helps. Hopefully there's a better answer!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I select all the tiles in the tilemap window (the place where you pick tiles to draw) so there's a big selection of tiles, like 10x10 or more. Selecting the eraser in the tilemap window turns that selection into really big eraser, so you can quickly erase huge areas of the tilemap object at once, and clear it out quickly.

I didn't know you could do this. That's useful for sure :) but I also just have an 'empty' tile in my tilemap that I use with the rectangle tool to erase the whole thing in one go.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)