Will sprites shift and shrink if the png changes in size?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • I’m having to start over from scratch because I forgot to save my single sprite animation from when I started and then I got a new computer, but before I resumed this project I wanted to ask a question:

Say I’ve got this sprite of the player’s character (2D platformer) and I made him on a 10x20 pixel canvas, for the sake of this hypothical.

I want to have some form of “power-up” so say one of these power-ups is the character takes out a huge weapon, holds it behind him, then swings it overhead, and then it lands in front of him. I make this animation on a 50x50 pixel canvas.

If I save all of these pngs and give them to Construct 3 as they are, will my player character be shifting and shrinking as he starts this weapon swing? If so, should I just do everything on the same size canvas?

Thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help. I hope my description of the situation was adequate.

Tagged:

• Why not just try it and see what happens? Construct should automatically adapt the object size to a newly imported image size.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Why not just try it and see what happens? Construct should automatically adapt the object size to a newly imported image size.

Thanks. Will do. I just wanted to know if there were any precautions I should take once I start making these different-sized sprites. The one I had animated before I lost my progress because I got a new computer was a simple walk cycle, which stayed at a constant canvas size when I drew it out.

That being said, what exactly do you mean by adapting the object size? Can you somehow have it recognize the sprite's "body"? Or is it more like for each individual frame for each individual animation for each entity I can set some kind of center point?

So, I quickly created a little rectangle player object and gave it a 16x16 pixel idle animation (hardly an animation; it’s just a single frame).

Then, I attempted 32x32 pixel 7-frame animation of the rectangle character doing a Fatal Fury-style “Power Geyser” where he sends out a flame pillar in front of himself. The body of the rectangle character itself shrank, I suppose because I changed the canvas to 32x32, and it also moves forward, supposedly because in the idle frame he was the center of the animation but in the “Power Geyser” animation the rectangle had to share the space with the flame pillar. Is there some kind of work-around or remedy to this shifting and shrinking?

Subscribe to Construct videos now
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)