Sprite doubles in size for newly implemented animation. Any help?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • This was something I thought I foolproof-ed by drawing my little character on a large canvas so when I animate him in such a way that something in the picture extends far past his body normally does that I wouldn’t have to change the canvas size and this have to jimmy anything in Construct, but here I am anyway.

youtu.be/bpT2roqQUSw

In the video I show that in my sprite animating workspace, everything I do for this character is on the same size canvas, he himself is always the same size, and his center of body is always in the same place relative to the rest of the frame. However, when I import the animation to Construct with the animation strip export, this one animation turns out exactly double the size of all his other animations, and appears as such in the animations editor. The only explanation I can think of for why it appears this way in Construct would be that this animation has him lashing out with his weapon, making the actual sprite take up more space.

I’m really at a loss how to fix this, so I’ve just got my fingers crossed that someone here knows the fix and that it’s an easy one. Thank you in advance for any help!

• I'm not sure what happened because the one you're saying is wrong looks correct and I would expect the others to also be 1024x1024 since you exported them as images of that size. Also as a side thing isn't 512x512 huge? I'm not an artist but it sounds massive for sprite art and memory usage.

• I'm not sure what happened because the one you're saying is wrong looks correct and I would expect the others to also be 1024x1024 since you exported them as images of that size. Also as a side thing isn't 512x512 huge? I'm not an artist but it sounds massive for sprite art and memory usage.

Alright, so I fixed it by manually changing the size of the image before I exported it, which is not something I've ever had to do before, so I'm not sure why this is the first time, but at least the sprite is the same size as all the others now.

On 512x512 being big, yeah it's pretty big. When I first started making the first sprites for this character, I thought it would be smart to make them all on the same canvas so I wouldn't have to resize anything within Construct. Fast forward to now, I have a couple of animations for this character that take up significantly more space than his Idle or Walk, but 512x512 is still a little large. I'm just hoping it's not something that comes back to bite me later and then I have to fix every animation one by one.

Thank you for the help!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It will do if you plan to put it on mobile, that is huge. Char should be something like 32x64 etc.

• It will do if you plan to put it on mobile, that is huge. Char should be something like 32x64 etc.

Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)