Thanks very much for your help! I got this working pretty well on Android. For whatever reason the continuous mode doesn't work for me, but changing it to single phrase is passable. I wish it ran the same as it does in the desktop browser but I'll settle for a working version.
I was not able to get it to work on iOS though. I checked the plist and it is using the speech recognition but when I tap the button on my iPad to request speech recognition, it doesn't do anything. I can see that it's recognizing the tap, but it doesn't seem to recognize that speech recognition is supported... (I had a condition that forced the app to check if speech recognition was supported and it would not continue).
Just curious if you experienced any of these issues while troubleshooting this problem.