How do I solve this HUGE loading problem?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
A terrifying package of 101 professional-quality sound effects for monsters, small beasts, huge behemoths, dragons and m
  • Hello everyone.

I'm developing a web app in Construct 3, but I'm having a BIG problem at the moment of loading the project on a server. On some devices it loads, on another doesn't or have to wait minutes and minutes...

I'm a beginner and this is frustrating me, because is urgent. I'm probably making a serious mistake at the moment of managing the memory (size of images and another files...), so I need your help the soon as possible : /

The project consists on a smartphone user interface, with some "fake apps", some funcionalities. The thing which are causing the serious problems are "S.A.R.A." and "Greg&Go" fake apps, I think.

The big problem is that S.A.R.A. app must have 10 videos of 10 minutes each one (I have only 1 at this moment...) and the game Greg&Go must have 10 levels in the final version (now it has only 2...).

Could it be a problem with the server or is it my mistake when managing the project?

I let you the link of the project file here:

drive.google.com/file/d/1E8Nur9fMACayUFrsReFz2QHVUAm2ahM5/view

And the website on which the project is uploaded is:

metamorfosischangecambio.com

Thank you so much in advance! ;)

• I'm not really clear what the problem is from your post, but I tried loading the web link and it appeared to load and run OK in Chrome. However if you press F12 and check the browser console, some resources are failing to load with a 403 Forbidden error from the server, which suggests a configuration problem with the server, or perhaps you didn't upload all the files.

• I'm not really clear what the problem is from your post, but I tried loading the web link and it appeared to load and run OK in Chrome. However if you press F12 and check the browser console, some resources are failing to load with a 403 Forbidden error from the server, which suggests a configuration problem with the server, or perhaps you didn't upload all the files.

Thank you so much for your answer, Ashley!

The problem is that the project doesn't load or load tremendously slow on some devices (especially on smartphones and the first time you access to the website, which are the priority target in this project). So it seems to be related with the memory management/size of the resources at the time of enter the web on a mobile device.

How can I resolve that 403 Forbidden error from the server? What could be misconfigured (or unconfigured) on the server that is causing this upload issue and how could I fix it?

I'm uploading by FTP all the files that Construct export, so I don't know what to do :(

- - - - - - -

These are the properties of the project, in case it might be helpful:

I'm exporting the project with this options activated:

Another two things:

1. Is there a way to reduce the size (the resolution and therefore the memory usage) of all the graphic files at the same time or do you have to go one by one from the image editor?

2. Could I configure the project to preload all the resources except the videos of S.A.R.A. and levels of the game "Greg&Go"? If the possibility exists, how could I do it?

Thank you again, Ashley. And sorry for the inconvenience.

• If it's slow to load, I would guess the server is just slow. I don't know how your server is configured and it depends on your host too, so I'm afraid I can't help you any further with this. Try contacting your host for support.

• If it's slow to load, I would guess the server is just slow. I don't know how your server is configured and it depends on your host too, so I'm afraid I can't help you any further with this. Try contacting your host for support.

If my project have no big problems with the optimization, I should try contacting with the hosting support then, yes...

And those things are possible?

Thank you, Ashley!

• when I tried to load your project from your server I got a Forbidden error - it would not let me see anything (trying to access from Canada)

I downloaded your file and exported it and put it on my server - you can try it here to see if there is any difference: (it was exported before I added "trigger once")

https://www.rieperts.com/meta

after running, I noticed it was generating thousands of errors and warnings. it was constantly trying to exit fullscreen mode.

on your botones_barra_superior event sheet you have events 4 to 9 running every tick. If pantalla_completa is 0 then it tries to leave fullscreen every tick and that causes an error if it isn't in fullscreen mode.

you should add a "trigger once while true" to each of those events, or structure it some other way so that the events only run when needed.

my iPhone 5s couldn't play the gregor game until I added the trigger once conditions. (it would give an error and restart the project from the beginning)

the video is pretty large (34 MB) and the images in the game could be a lot smaller, and you may want to try making them sprites instead of tiled backgrounds.

• when I tried to load your project from your server I got a Forbidden error - it would not let me see anything (trying to access from Canada)

I downloaded your file and exported it and put it on my server - you can try it here to see if there is any difference: (it was exported before I added "trigger once")

https://www.rieperts.com/meta

after running, I noticed it was generating thousands of errors and warnings. it was constantly trying to exit fullscreen mode.

on your botones_barra_superior event sheet you have events 4 to 9 running every tick. If pantalla_completa is 0 then it tries to leave fullscreen every tick and that causes an error if it isn't in fullscreen mode.

you should add a "trigger once while true" to each of those events, or structure it some other way so that the events only run when needed.

my iPhone 5s couldn't play the gregor game until I added the trigger once conditions.

the video is pretty large (34 MB) and the images in the game could be a lot smaller, and you may want to try making them sprites instead of tiled backgrounds.

Thank you so much for your time and help, Allan!

Could you send me the project file with the fix or a snapshot, please? Because I'm not 100% sure if I'm making it like you say with "botones_barra_superior event sheet" events or not... : /

I can't see the favicon nor the custom image of the project when it's loading on my website. Why is this happening?

I've some questions about the graphics and media files:

- Which is the best way to compress video files and loss the less quality possible (although I would prefer smaller sizes than image quality in this case) and make them compatible with all devices (the other day I was having flickering problems with the video included in "S.A.R.A." fake app on iOS, but not on Android...)? I'm using macOS, by the way.

- Is it better to import all the backgrounds like sprites instead of tiled backgrounds to improve performance and initial project load? Which size should I use for the backgrounds and other sprites in general?

- If I minify the project, which option would be better in this case? Simple or advanced?

Thank you so much again, Allan!

• here is an image of the changes I made:

for minification I normally do Simple. Advanced could possibly cause trouble with scripts and plugins.

I don't know much about video compression, but the shorter and smaller the file, the better.

The reason I suggested Sprites instead of Tiled backgound is that you can reduce the size of the image and then stretch it to fill the same dimensions as the current images. Tiled backgrounds will repeat the image. Otherwise I don't think it would make a difference.

• here is an image of the changes I made:

for minification I normally do Simple. Advanced could possibly cause trouble with scripts and plugins.

I don't know much about video compression, but the shorter and smaller the file, the better.

The reason I suggested Sprites instead of Tiled backgound is that you can reduce the size of the image and then stretch it to fill the same dimensions as the current images. Tiled backgrounds will repeat the image. Otherwise I don't think it would make a difference.

Thank you one more time, Allan ;)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hello, AllanR!

One question: Which hosting service are you using for your web? Because my project load too fast there, but in mine is slow and buggy... : /

Thank you!

• I use Netfirms and HostPapa the most.

• I use Netfirms and HostPapa the most.

Aha. Which one you used to upload the example of my project and how you have configured it (because maybe I'm doing it wrong... : /)? Shared hosting or private?

Thank you!

• I put your project on the Netfirms site. Overall, I slightly prefer HostPaPa. I have used a variety of other hosts as well without much trouble.

I didn't configure anything, just dragged the exported project to the site with my ftp program.

I exported using the simple minification.

• I put your project on the Netfirms site. Overall, I slightly prefer HostPaPa. I have used a variety of other hosts as well without much trouble.

I didn't configure anything, just dragged the exported project to the site with my ftp program.

I exported using the simple minification.

Perfect ;)

Shared hosting or dedicated?

And only with simple minification or with the other two options for the images of the project activated too?

• shared hosting

no other options were checked.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)