How do I run my game on Steam Deck? (crashes) - UPDATE: SOLVED

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Hi. I've uploaded the build (made via Nw.js) of my game made on Construct 3 to Steam, everything works fine on PC, Windows. But then I tried turning the game on Steam Deck: the game starts to launch (steam deck loading-circle logo is shown) and after a few seconds the game just crashes with no error message and leads me back to starting a game Steam menu.

I've thought that the issue might be that I did not inclue Greenworks addon in it and did not use "Export for Steam" options while building for NW.js. So I've tried adding Greenworks-0.71.0 to the project and building the game with it. Then I added steam sdk files (steam_api64.dll and sdkencryptedappticket64.dll) to the build, as Greenworks plugin asks. I reuploaded the build to Steam and tried launching the game again on Steam Deck. Now the game does not crush, but loads it indefinitely (forever).

Please, anyone who has Steam Deck, reply if you had similar issues and especially if you know how to fix them. Thanks!

Additional data:

- Construct 3 Release r336 stable

- Greenworks-0.71.0

- Steam SDK 1.50

- Additional addons used in the project: Animate_Text, Csv2array, RimLight (don't think it's the addons fault though)

UPDATE: If you have this issue look down on my next comments to see instructions on how to try to make your game work on Steam Deck.

• I get this too

The last time a build from C3 worked on the Deck was back in October

Ever since, I haven't been able to get it to launch. I was hoping I could get it to open so I could check the console log for errors, but it won't ever get to the point that it opens.

The crash either happens after launch, or it gets stuck in an infinite loop when trying to launch.

It's interesting to hear someone else with a similar issue.

• I get this too

The last time a build from C3 worked on the Deck was back in October

Ever since, I haven't been able to get it to launch. I was hoping I could get it to open so I could check the console log for errors, but it won't ever get to the point that it opens.

The crash either happens after launch, or it gets stuck in an infinite loop when trying to launch.

It's interesting to hear someone else with a similar issue.

Maybe its time to report that as an error directly to Ashley then? If you could do it before and can't do it now - that's a (somewhat) good news to me, actually. It means that it's not only my problem and that maybe it will get fixed if we manage to get a reply from Construct 3 devs.

• No offense, but reporting C3 issues throughout the past ~6 years of development has felt like pissing in the wind a lot of the time. It's pretty draining.

I'm planning to put a bounty on the issue eventually. While it would be nice if the Deck worked, it's not the primary focus.

One thing to note - it doesn't seem to be what is in the game that causes issues. The game simply does not launch at all. There's something before it even accesses the game code that's preventing it from opening.

• Issue submitted

github.com/Scirra/Construct-bugs/issues/7034

Today, I will spend most of the time trying new ways to export it. Removing things, adding things, and seeing if I can pinpoint what causes it to crash / hang.

• Issue submitted

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-bugs/issues/7034

Today, I will spend most of the time trying new ways to export it. Removing things, adding things, and seeing if I can pinpoint what causes it to crash / hang.

Thank you so much! Please, leave a message here if you find anything. So far I wasn't able to launch my game on Steam Deck =/

• Issue submitted

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-bugs/issues/7034

UPDATE: managed to launch my game via a specific Linux build! It WORKS!

Here is what I did:

0) Download Greenworks addon for Construct 3, install it and put Greenworks object in your project Object types.

1) Make a build via NW.js exporter. Choose NW.js version v0.71.0 (Chromium 108), Linux64 as a target platform. Options on: Package assets, Compress final zip, Resizable window, Ignore GPU blacklist, Export for Steam (everything else - Window frame, Kiosk mode, Enable DevTools - off). Command line options - nothing.

2) Unpack the .zip build using WinRAR.

3) Download the Steam SDK 1.50 from here: partner.steamgames.com/downloads/list

4) Copy the libsteam_api.so from "sdk/redistributable_bin/linux64"

5) Copy the libsdkencryptedappticket.so from the "sdk/public/steam/lib/linux64"

6) Create steam_appid.txt file and put your Steam application number in it (only the number, nothing else)

7) Put all three files in the main build folder (near lib, locales and swiftshader folder). I did not figure out if libsteam_api.so and libsdkencryptedappticket.so need to go in the main build folder or in the "lib" folder, so I've put all three files in the "lib" folder of the build as well - just to be sure the files will be found by the game.

8) Make a new .zip file of the main game folder (not the upper-folder itself, but all the lib, locales and swiftshader folders and files to be on top of the zip archive)

9) Upload it to Steam. You may use a beta-branch for testing - it doesn't matter, just don't forget to enter your beta-code and use the correct branch if you're using your other branch.

10) In SteamWorks site go to App Admin > General Installation Settings. Make TWO different launch options - one for Windows (Executable ending with ".exe", Operating System > Windows), and a separate one for Linux + Steam OS (no file type there - only the game name, needs to be the same as the game name file in the game build folder).

11) In SteamWorks site go to App Admin > Application > General and tick "Supported Operating Systems" on both Windows AND Linux + Steam OS.

12) Don't forget to publish all the changes and delete your previous downloaded builds if you tested any. And do that every time you try and change anything.

If you have any additional questions - write to me, and I can check again all my steps again and maybe help to find out why it's working on my game and not yours.

• Thanks for that

So I tried all of those things, but some of my settings ended up being slightly different. I couldn't package assets, for example. Eventually the game managed to launch, but I was stuck with a NW.JS screen. A bit more tinkering and the actual game launched, but then the gamepad controls were broken and nothing could be clicked / interacted with.

dop2000 suggested I try changing the way fullscreen was being called... and holy hell... that seems to have fixed it.

I must have spent days on this issue (literally). But it's working now. Just waiting for some other people to confirm before I get too excited, but this is the first time I've had it going on the Deck in a while (and without compatibility fixes).

Hopefully this thread helps others if they run into the same issue!

Thanks

• I used to play my game on the Steam Deck without any issues at all. Then, one day, it suddenly stopped working. I didn't change anything apart from upgrading to a new stable build.

That was approximately 6 weeks ago. Never been able to get it working again since.

• dop2000 suggested I try changing the way fullscreen was being called... and holy hell... that seems to have fixed it.

Hopefully this thread helps others if they run into the same issue!

What do you mean "Changing the way fullscreen was being called"? I'd love to try that out, but I'm not sure what it means.

• Interinactive

how were you going fullscreen? Browser Request Fullscreen? or a NWjs thing?

• The_GD

Do you know if you can have Windows-Only for the main default branch while testing the linux Deck verion for the beta only? I don't want the linux version to be live for normal users. I don't see that as an option.

If you select that the game is supported by Windows and Linux won't people be expecting that for download?

I just want to test if the game will open and run on the Deck. I need to add more support for the controls, but I don't want to bother if it won't even work!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I checked ChatGPT and it mentioned Depot mapping, maybe that is what I need to do...

• jobel

Yes, try "Browser request fullscreen" in the first layout.

You can install and test Linux games on the Deck without uploading them to Steam. There are several methods. I switch the Deck to desktop mode, transfer the files using Winpinator app, then right-click the executable and select "Add to Steam". It then appears in my Steam library.

• How do you do saving files on SteamDeck/Linux?

On Windows, I set the target to the player's Documents folder since that's apparently the best and safest place to save files.

NWjs.UserFolder & "Documents\GameName\File.sav"

But on Deck, I'm not sure what to do, and I think they use forward slashes for directory addresses "/" while windows does "\".

Is it okay to just save in the appfolder with Linux?

NWjs.AppFolder & "File.sav"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)