How do I rent a server and open a browser tab in it?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the Construct Starter Kit Collection and the Student Workbook from the Workshop.
  • Hello,

I have a multiplayer game that I would like to set up a dedicated server for. I've been told to rent a server, open a browser tab in it, and leave it running. Can anyone explain how to do this to someone who has no experience in this area?

Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey! If you'd rather not set one up yourself you'll likely need to rent a VPS from a service provider. I use OVH.com - but there are several. Try googling "VPS".

It should cost around $10 a month to start - at this price the VPS won't be able to handle much, just make sure the browser tab is minimized after the game's running and you'll be able to do your testing. I wouldn't recommend upgrading the VPS until you need to.

You're free to configure the VPS with an OS of your choice. Mine is using a variation of Linux, and I have remote desktop + chrome installed on it which allows me to go in and navigate to the site. Most service providers support teams will help you get this setup if you're having trouble.

• Hey! If you'd rather not set one up yourself you'll likely need to rent a VPS from a service provider. I use OVH.com - but there are several. Try googling "VPS".

It should cost around $10 a month to start - at this price the VPS won't be able to handle much, just make sure the browser tab is minimized after the game's running and you'll be able to do your testing. I wouldn't recommend upgrading the VPS until you need to.

You're free to configure the VPS with an OS of your choice. Mine is using a variation of Linux, and I have remote desktop + chrome installed on it which allows me to go in and navigate to the site. Most service providers support teams will help you get this setup if you're having trouble.

Hey! Thanks for your help!

I just want to make sure I'm taking the right steps. I'm looking at OVH and I see the VPS Cloud and VPS Cloud RAM. I'm assuming the RAM version is upgraded performance and I should stick with the basic for now?

Also, can you tell me if I would be able to go with the Linux option and set it up quickly having zero experience with Linux? Or should I just stick to Windows?

• Hey - sorry for the late reply.

I would go with Windows if you're uncomfortable with Linux (although if you want to try it, look up some tutorials on how to get a browser installed, the instructions should be straight forward and that should be all you need). It shouldn't really matter which OS you choose.

RAM has to do with how much memory your server will have access to. I would start with one of the lower options, something inexpensive will work fine and then upgrade as needed... the more players you have, the greater demand on the server and the more RAM and processing speed you'll need!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)