How do I reduce size of sprites in exported format?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Hi everyone,

I want to reduce size of my exported game,hence I extracted the exported game,took all spritesheets & further compressed using online png compressors. And result was awesome(I saved about 20 MB) in size

But I have few doubts about it:-

1.) Is it fine to do this? I mean, are there any side effects ?

2.) Is there something else which I need to keep it in mind? (Like:- use only this png compressor to do the task etc)

Thanks in advance

• I use this tool to compress images in exported games (web and mobile) and I never have had any issues:

pngquant.org

• I use this tool to compress images in exported games (web and mobile) and I never have had any issues:

https://pngquant.org/

Love you friend ❤️

https://pngquant.org/

I opened the site. And I didn't got how to use it(there are too many options)

I am a windows user

• Try TinyPNG which is a free online service, or UPNG by the super talented Ivan Kutskir (also free and client-side IIRC).

• Try TinyPNG which is a free online service, or UPNG by the super talented Ivan Kutskir (also free and client-side IIRC).

Thanks a lot!!!

• I opened the site. And I didn't got how to use it(there are too many options)

I am a windows user

I'm personally using command line tool, but you can download this program, it's based on the same compression algorithm:

nukesaq88.github.io/Pngyu

• Construct's built-in PNG compression is very good, but is lossless, so will preserve artwork pixel-perfectly. Using other PNG compression tools which are lossy can improve the compression, but these fundamentally work by degrading the quality of the artwork in your game. So you may want to check the appearance of your game very carefully afterwards to make sure it hasn't degraded the quality too much. For example a nice smooth gradient could be much smaller if the colors are reduced, but then it can appear with visible bands instead of a smooth gradient.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct's built-in PNG compression is very good, but is lossless, so will preserve artwork pixel-perfectly. Using other PNG compression tools which are lossy can improve the compression, but these fundamentally work by degrading the quality of the artwork in your game. So you may want to check the appearance of your game very carefully afterwards to make sure it hasn't degraded the quality too much. For example a nice smooth gradient could be much smaller if the colors are reduced, but then it can appear with visible bands instead of a smooth gradient.

Thanks for the reply. But it will be awesome if there was an inbuilt option for loosy-compression. And it should be quite easy to integrate since lots of algo are available

• UPDATE:-

I exported my android game & compressed the images (I was super careful in doing all steps). And at the end I saved about 10 MB.

I converted the .aab into .apk & tried it on my mobile to see any bugs/issues. There were no issues at all

However,

When I uploaded my .aab file into play console,it rejected saying "invalid signature. please upload another file with correct signature". And when I tried the original file, it accepted without any issues

Any idea what is happening?

• Are you using C3 build service?

Export to Cordova first, extract Images folder, compress the files, then update them in the zip. Then load this zip into the Export Manager and continue building the aab.

• Are you using C3 build service?

Export to Cordova first, extract Images folder, compress the files, then update them in the zip. Then load this zip into the Export Manager and continue building the aab.

Yes I am using C3 build service

I absolutely did not got meaning of "load this zip into the Export Manager and continue building the aab" this. I mean how? Never heard of this

Edit:- I got it. I wished I would had been knowing about this earlier

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)